• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 773 (1 Viewer)

stereotruckdriver

I had intended when we purchased this for it to be my wife's.
Well its mine, she gets the Swaro 65 HD!
I received it with the 20-60x zoom, today I ordered the25-60x wf zoom.
I'm truly hoping the new zoom will be the ep I have been looking for?
No more swapping ep's.
Bryce...

Attachments

• IMG_20140905_123602.jpg
    IMG_20140905_123602.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20140905_134500.jpg
    IMG_20140905_134500.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
If the new Zoom doesn't give you about all one could ask for your too picky. Seriously I have had mine about four months on the 884 and as I have mentioned before that's about as good as a scope gets and the new 25X60 eyepiece is a big part of that. I am getting ready to post a review of my six week old 664 and while its a great scope the FOV gets really narrow at top zoom something like the eyepiece you have now.
Steve

If the new Zoom doesn't give you about all one could ask for your too picky. Seriously I have had mine about four months on the 884 and as I have mentioned before that's about as good as a scope gets and the new 25X60 eyepiece is a big part of that. I am getting ready to post a review of my six week old 664 and while its a great scope the FOV gets really narrow at top zoom something like the eyepiece you have now.
Steve

You know I agree with what u said on another thread about Kowa coming out with a wf zoom on the 66 series.
Boom, it would be the best $1000 or sub scope on the market. Don't know if they change coatings or not like other manufacturers but to my eyes they would be hard to compete with in the scope market.

I do notice the warmness, very similar to Nikon's coatings.
Must be a Japanese thing? No offence.

Unlike Swarovski which to me are more cool and to my liking.

Not a problem or complaint though!

Bryce...

Thing is though, if they did come out with a wf 66- zoom and it cost anything like the 88-series one, then it would cost getting on for the same as the 66 body! Still would be good though. Must admit though I'd like to compare my 45x kowa fixed with the new zoom at the same focal length on the 773/883 and see how they compare...

Came yesterday, been using it all day.
Color bias not as noticeable, seems sharper at 60x. Eyerelief seems less at 60x than 20-60x? Need some more time to evaluate, so far so good.
I almost see myself keeping both zooms, time will tell.
Bryce...

Attachments

• IMG_20140911_164344.jpg
    IMG_20140911_164344.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 128
Took it down to the lake this morning before it warmed up.
Really pleased with the scope and ep combo.
Been using a Swarovski 65 HD the last few years. It was perfect for me light, compact, easy toting with stellar
Image quality.
With the new light weight tripod and head I put together for my wife, toting the slightly larger Kowa
Actually feels lighter and I'm sure it is compared to my aluminum tripod with the Swaro.

The difference in performance favors the Kowa and it should with the larger aperture.

I was ready to sell my Swaro and buy the 15x slc's well not gonna happen the 773 with the wide angle zoom
has changed my mind.

I do like viewing with two eyes better but the view through this scope at higher mags has changed my mind.
I know the larger aperture scopes are even better but, they are limited in there use.

Kowa hit a home run with the 773, fits my needs perfect.

Bryce...

Took it down to the lake this morning before it warmed up.
Really pleased with the scope and ep combo.
Been using a Swarovski 65 HD the last few years. It was perfect for me light, compact, easy toting with stellar
Image quality.
With the new light weight tripod and head I put together for my wife, toting the slightly larger Kowa
Actually feels lighter and I'm sure it is compared to my aluminum tripod with the Swaro.

The difference in performance favors the Kowa and it should with the larger aperture.

I was ready to sell my Swaro and buy the 15x slc's well not gonna happen the 773 with the wide angle zoom
has changed my mind.

I do like viewing with two eyes better but the view through this scope at higher mags has changed my mind.
I know the larger aperture scopes are even better but, they are limited in there use.

Kowa hit a home run with the 773, fits my needs perfect.

Bryce...

Bryce, That's great .. I know you would like the 773 & 25-60x combo. I hope for your wallet's sake you never get to use the 25-60x on its bigger brother the 883 Prominar, if you do the 773 might end up going to your wife after all . ... gwen

Bryce, That's great .. I know you would like the 773 & 25-60x combo. I hope for your wallet's sake you never get to use the 25-60x on its bigger brother the 883 Prominar, if you do the 773 might end up going to your wife after all . ... gwen

Lol. Gwen I thought about you when I made the post above!

That said I tend to compromise, not unlike my decision with the Swarovski Swarovision.

Yes I thought the 10x50 sv gave me a better image than that of the 8x32 sv.

Ultimately I chose the 8x32, I compromised.

Same thing with the Kowa scopes, do I think the 883 is better? Yes and probably then some
but, I compromised and settled on the 773 you sold me.

And by the way its an excellent sample. The only nit I have is the focus and it has nothing
to do with performance. Just a hair of free play on the focus nob, but I'm picky and in
use doesn't mean a thing! Doesn't affect the performance one bit.

Bryce...

nice to hear that you are happy with your 773!
been checking around for a scope for a while now,
and the kowas look very interesting.

Can't find much info on the kowas with the new 25-60 eyepiece
so it's nice to get some input. Most tests are with the older eye piece.

Do you see any difference in CA-levels comparing the new and the old zoom?

The 883 is a very fine scope, but the 773 is a bit smaller and lighter
which is a good thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back