• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 and Lumix G1 (1 Viewer)

Dave Hawkins

Dear diary, what a day it's been...
Kowa 883 and Lumix G1, GF1 or GH1?

Is there anybody out there using the above combination?

Any info gratefully received!

Dave

Last edited:
Hi trco

Which lens(es) and with what eyepiece have you been using?

How are you attaching the camera lens to the eye piece?

Any vignetting and over what range of focal lengths?

Any general advice or impressions of the set up will be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Dave

Hi!

I tried it with Kowa 25x LER and kit lens. No vigneting around 18-30 mm. Severe vigneting on 20-60x zoom. I tried also with t2 mount without lens or eyepiece - kowa adapter for DSLR - got some nice results with this (in body stabilisation would be nice in this case) - focal range is between 1200 - 2000mm with fixed aperture.

I made some support railings for camera but i think I could mount it on TSN-da10 also if I had 52 mm connection ring.

general impression - for now I'm more satisfied with P6000 - maybe because I'm used to it.

Hi!

I tried it with Kowa 25x LER and kit lens. No vigneting around 18-30 mm. Severe vigneting on 20-60x zoom. I tried also with t2 mount without lens or eyepiece - kowa adapter for DSLR - got some nice results with this (in body stabilisation would be nice in this case) - focal range is between 1200 - 2000mm with fixed aperture.

I made some support railings for camera but i think I could mount it on TSN-da10 also if I had 52 mm connection ring.

general impression - for now I'm more satisfied with P6000 - maybe because I'm used to it.

Many thanks for you reply trco. What reasons do you prefer the P6000 to the G1?

Thanks again for any info....

Dave

I got same question over PM so I'm just pasting the answer.

G1 is great tool, also for digiscoping - I sold all of my EOS cameras and lenses (to much weight :) ). Currently I'm getting better results with P6000 but I think because I know this camera and settings very well. I have G1 only for about one month and I didn't had chance to use it. I still think that I made right choise buying it for digiscoping (rotatable LCD is unbeatable), but I must get chance to know it better -I have felling that it will produce better pictures than P6000. It is a lot faster in autofocusing than Nikon and with the remote (only cable version) you can take more than one photo at once.

My opinion - go for it, but you'll have to study it a little bit to get great results. You can see robin in my gallery which was taken with G1 and Kowa TSN-PZ (G1 with adapter direct on scope - manual focusing).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back