• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 or Maven B2 11x45 (1 Viewer)

bird35

United States
I am curious if anyone has been able to do a comparison of these two binoculars. They both seem to get good reviews, the main negative for both of them seems to be size and weight. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I have been thinking about comparing the two for a while, since their specs seem to suggest such a comparison. Your post has now renewed my interest. Any major points from your side that you would like to have answered ?

EDIT: sorry, my mistake, I misread yor post, I have the 8.5x44 Kowa, not the 10.5x44, it makes little sense to compare with my Maven 11x45 (I could compare with the Zulu 9x45, but the Kowa would win single-handedly).
Canip

Last edited:
No nothing specific. I have just been looking into both and also noticed that they compare closely with each other. From what i can gather Kowa produces their own binoculars and Maven is made in Japan by Kamakura and assembled in the United States. So they are also both from good Japanese manufacturers.

I am curious if anyone has been able to do a comparison of these two binoculars. They both seem to get good reviews, the main negative for both of them seems to be size and weight. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
I owned the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 and liked it but I find the Sig Sauer 11x45 I now have Optically is just as good and easer to use with my glasses. If the Maven B2 11x45 view is equal to or nicer than my Sig Sauer 11x45 I would definitely purchase the Maven B2 11x45 instead of the Kowa.

I owned the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 and liked it but I find the Sig Sauer 11x45 I now have Optically is just as good and easer to use with my glasses. If the Maven B2 11x45 view is equal to or nicer than my Sig Sauer 11x45 I would definitely purchase the Maven B2 11x45 instead of the Kowa.
Thank you for the response that is good to know. I have a pair of the Sig zulu 9 11x45 also and think they are great. I was looking into maven 9x45 but thought it would be a better comparison to mention the 11s because specs are so similar to the 10.5x 44. Kowa just doesn't seem to do as much advertising so there isn't as much information or reviews on them.

[
QUOTE="bird35, post: 4160144, member: 159464"]
Thank you for the response that is good to know. I have a pair of the Sig zulu 9 11x45 also and think they are great. I was looking into maven 9x45 but thought it would be a better comparison to mention the 11s because specs are so similar to the 10.5x 44. Kowa just doesn't seem to do as much advertising so there isn't as much information or reviews on them.
[/QUOTE]

I like the 10.5 Kowa as well. But specifically, if you use with glasses, the eye relief is pretty short. I can get the full FOV on several bins down in the 14mm range with glasses but get only around 90% with the Kowa. Not a big deal but noticeable and a factor you may want to consider.

Mike

I have been thinking about comparing the two for a while, since their specs seem to suggest such a comparison. Your post has now renewed my interest. Any major points from your side that you would like to have answered ?

EDIT: sorry, my mistake, I misread yor post, I have the 8.5x44 Kowa, not the 10.5x44, it makes little sense to compare with my Maven 11x45 (I could compare with the Zulu 9x45, but the Kowa would win single-handedly).
Do you think the 8.5x44 is a better binocular than the 10.5?

I really can‘t say, I don‘t know the 10.5x at all (if I had to guess, I would assume they are equally good).
But the Maven is really good, too 😁

I compared the Genesis 8.5x44 and Maven B2 9x45 side by side about a year ago. The main thing I noticed was that the Kowa had much less CA. I preferred the Maven for its larger AFOV, brightness and overall feel, but couldn't get past the CA in some conditions.

I'd demo the Maven, I think you can try it for at least a week and only pay shipping.

There's a web vid of a BBQ guy comparing the Vortex 10x42 UHD AK prism vs. the Maven 11x45 AK prism model. He does actual sight testing. Has some good low light comments on the Maven.

There's a web vid of a BBQ guy comparing the Vortex 10x42 UHD AK prism vs. the Maven 11x45 AK prism model. He does actual sight testing. Has some good low light comments on the Maven.
I have seen his video, it is very well done. I have a set of Sig zulu 9 11x45 which are about the exact same as the Maven b2 and i have the 10x42 Vortex razor uhd. I agree with a lot of what he has to say, for me they were closer in low light but that is probably just a difference in my eyes.

I compared the Genesis 8.5x44 and Maven B2 9x45 side by side about a year ago. The main thing I noticed was that the Kowa had much less CA. I preferred the Maven for its larger AFOV, brightness and overall feel, but couldn't get past the CA in some conditions.

I'd demo the Maven, I think you can try it for at least a week and only pay shipping.
Very helpful, thank you.

I am definitely not an optic professional but I think they are both really good binoculars. I do favor the vortex. I feel like they are sharper and have more of that wow factor to my eyes at least. I have been meaning to test resolution off a tripod but haven't gotten around to it. As far as brightness I notice hardly any difference. I use them for hunting in Idaho and the legal hours are half hour before sunrise and half hour after sunset. During those hours I do not notice much difference. It seems to me that the vortex have a very slight yellow tint and the sig more blueish and again that may be me.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back