• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Genesis 8,5x44 (Prominar) well worth it (1 Viewer)

kwikstaart

As I could only find older threads I start this new one. Since a few hours I am the proud owner of a Kowa Genesis 8,5x44 and very, very happy with it. Finally, I must say! I have used my Swaro el 8,4x42 sv with great joy since 2012and I saw it as my ultimate birding binoculars. Before that I owned a Nikon EDG 8x42 and I would still have it if the dioptre would have stayed fixed. And alsof there was a Zeiss Victory 10x42 but I found the view too "white". Just a little background. Back to the Kowa. The Genesis had been in the back of my head since 2012 bit it's rather hard to find in Holland and I do not see them in the field. But since I own the Kowa 883 scope I am just a Kowa fan. And now even more as I love the view of the Genesis, the smooth focus and the stable hold in my hands. I can't say they are better than Swaro but the view looks equal to me and that for almost half the money! And the visible print "prominar" when looking through the frontlenses is awesone!! the fact that Kowa doesn't (or almost) associates with hunting is big pro to me! So all in all: I will keep my Swaro but now I will use the Kowa as a first and the Swaro as a nice backup :)
I won't het into specifications or details: the view through the Kowa is bright, rich, detailed and with beautiful contrast. Maybe the field of the view and edge sharpness could be a little bigger or better but I honestly can't see it as a disadvantage.
I will compare it to a NL Pure and Zeiss SF as soon as I meet some birding friends. But even without comparing I know they will be a little brighter and with a much bigger FOV but for me now it isn't worth it. So although the Genesis is quite an older model it still stands its ground firmly against any other alpha and must be worth considering seriously on either optical and ethical grounds (I know, that's a discussion on its own :))

PS I have also looked through a Conquest HD and Trinovid HD. And although I liked the Leica better than the Zeiss (felt plastic and cheap) the Kowa just felt right and better

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the 8.5x44 Genesis also. Such a clean view and everything snaps into focus without any fiddling with the focus wheel. I wish it were a little lighter, I've been carrying 5 lbs of camera gear lately in addition to binoculars. I may have to try the 8x33.

Update: it's a bit heavier than my Swaro. I also carry 3kg camera gear + scope with tripod so a 100 grams more or less makes no difference to me :)
At dusk or dawn the Swaro seems a touch brighter and the eyepiece cover is indeed flimsy. But I still highly appreciate the fantasic views!

Has anyone tried filters on the Kowa? The possibility to do so seems unique. I wonder what the view is like using polarisers, for example.

Hi Marijn,

I think when you get around to direct comparisons you wil find that the 8,5x44 Genesis trounces the competition with regard to control of longitudinal CA, just like the 8x33 Genesis and the 883.
This is my only point of contention with Canip's (Pinac) excellent reviews, where he gives both Genesis a mere "good".
Perhaps though he is judging lateral CA and almost any eyepiece will show CA at the field edge.

John

John (post #5),

thank you for your remarks.

You are correct in that I rated lateral CA.

In today’s high quality binoculars (and esp. those with „ED“ glass), longitudinal CA is hardly ever an issue, and certainly not in the Genesis models. In my experience, only some cheaper models today exhibit also noticeable longitudinal CA.

Canip

Hi Canip,

I bought an 8x33 Genesis in 2012 and reported on it here on the forum (as my alter ego, John Russell). I used it almost exclusively for the following months and the following summer was on an outing with other NABU members where the River Sieg flows into the Rhine.
A friend was interested in the Kowa (and subsequently bought one), so I lent him mine for the duration of the outing and used my Swarovski EL 10x42 SV.
There were several Black Kites in the air and I recall my surprise and mild disappointment at the CA I saw in the Swarovision.
The Genesis has a few minor shortcomings but on-axis CA is imperceptible.

John

Has anyone tried filters on the Kowa? The possibility to do so seems unique. I wonder what the view is like using polarisers, for example.
I do: multicoated HD UV neutral color (not the more typical slightly yellowish tinted) filters. Summarizing: high quality UV filters.

Excellent result without a perceptible loss in any: sharpness and brightness. And apparently, in addition, they reduce haze, especially at long distances, and further improve contrast.

To me a big "must have", since only considering the protective aspect itself, the constant cleaning of the lenses in the long run deteriorates them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back