• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Genesis 8x22 vs. Swarovski Curio 7x21 (3 Viewers)

iseegeorgesstar

United States
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 22mm Kowa's and how they might compare to the new Swarovski's? The curio's are a real hot ticket item yet there aren't many reviews of the pocket sized gensis. In the USA they cost about the same but one can order the Genesis via Japan at a discounted rate.

Thank you for your thoughts and experiences.

Kowa does not have much traction in optics in general. They are considered mostly lower end to
a few mid-range models.
If the Genesis is priced similar to the Swarovski and in the high tier, it has work to do........
It would be good to hear from those who have tried the Kowa.
Jerry

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 22mm Kowa's and how they might compare to the new Swarovski's? The curio's are a real hot ticket item yet there aren't many reviews of the pocket sized gensis. In the USA they cost about the same but one can order the Genesis via Japan at a discounted rate.

Thank you for your thoughts and experiences.

I think it depends on what is most important to you.

Both instruments are well built and very nicely finished.

The Curio is clearly more pocketable and optically superb. I find its overall performance excellent, considering the small size.

The Kowa is a bit larger, optically very good as well, and it has more AFOV.

Two issues (which might be personal ones and not applicable to everyone):

• I have more trouble finding the right eye placement behind the exit pupil with the Kowa than with the Curio
  • With the Kowa, having focused on an object, I frequently experience the need to refocus again

Both binos will find their fans. You have to try them out in order to know which one is for you.

Attachments

• IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 118
@NDhunter my thoughts exactly. Kowa's are nice but $800 nice which can also get me a new Swaro? Then I have some questions...

@Pinac Thank you so much for the info! Glad to hear from someone who tried both. Also that picture is surprising and really puts things in perspective!

@NDhunter my thoughts exactly. Kowa's are nice but $800 nice which can also get me a new Swaro? Then I have some questions...

@Pinac Thank you so much for the info! Glad to hear from someone who tried both. Also that picture is surprising and really puts things in perspective!
Well, the curio with 2.5 m close focus is an instrument for birdwatching only, whereas the Kowa (1.5 m close focus) works for people also watching other things than birds. Dragonflies, butterflies et c.

For me the Curio has no value because of this.

Well, the curio with 2.5 m close focus is an instrument for birdwatching only, whereas the Kowa (1.5 m close focus) works for people also watching other things than birds. Dragonflies, butterflies et c.

For me the Curio has no value because of this.
This is what I thought too. But I'm realizing the small stature of pocket binoculars doesnt make them ideal for close focus viewing. (Albeit I've never tried the papillo). But basically merging the image may feel wonky and/or the eye cups are too small or there is too much eye strain to view for an enjoyable experience. I'm very mixed on this front. I think currently my instrument of choice is a monocular but I still need to get my hands on the pentax papillo.

I tried them together with a Swarovski cl pocket. The Kowa Genesis Prominar 22 XD 10x22. I picked them up, looked through them and decided almost immediately they weren't for me. The Swaro looked nice, a bit constrained afov. Maybe if I had them longer it would be different, it was in a store.

Kowa does not have much traction in optics in general. They are considered mostly lower end to
a few mid-range models.
Hi,

wow... now that's a bold statement... especially since it's not limited to binoculars...
Please help me out, who was Swaro trying to play catch me with when they brought out the AT80 scope?

Joachim

I just looked through some Curios 2 days ago, and compared them directly to Zeiss VP 8x25.
I think the Curios are better optically, not by much, but to my eyes they are.
Quite astonishing.
I also love my 8x20 Ultravids, but again, the Curios are a step up optically..... but you gotta love an Ultravid;)

The Curios are excellent optically even without considering the size and surprisingly comfortable and easy to view considering the size. I think for the type of use this size bins are good for and considering light weight, 7x makes more sense. Less shake and longer depth of field. I hardly ever need to focus my curios and if I do, it’s fast and precise. Typically you don’t take this size class when you go to an open field birding spot just to look through them the whole day at infinite focus. The point of pocket bins is to be with you even when you wouldn’t otherwise carry big binos. Or if you move about the whole day and cannot carry too much weight. Typical use case is a quick glance at something relatively close by that you need to identify. For that use 7x and long depth of field is optimal. And did I mention they have exceptional optical quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back