• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Genesis 8x33 vs… (1 Viewer)

kerrit

United States
It’s been one month since I joined birdforum. I apologize if this is not the appropriate way or place to post this. I feel that I have learned a lot reading all of your posts and reviews. Every time I think I’ve narrowed down my list of potential new purchases (1st time binocular), I read something that sways me.
I found that the binocular stores that I have contacted also have their personal biases, often depending on what they sell. A couple of birding societies also gave recommendations, from high end Swarovski NL Pure to more modest Vanguard ED. Quality, clarity, FOV, close focus, are important-I imagine for everyone, but also weight and ER as I have physical limitations. My use will be from home primarily and from inside for now.
I contacted the store I planned to purchase from asking about the Kowa Genesis 8x33. The representative I spoke with thought I should consider the Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 as lighter and a far better optic. After reading about the rolling ball (I’m still trying to understand it), I was hesitant about the HG, though the rep said it rarely happens. I don’t want to let price influence me too much, but Kowa is having a spring sale which ends tomorrow. The Genesis is $499 and the BD II is $325 ( that was not one I had considered). Then I read a review of the GPO Passion ED 8x32 here on the forum, and I thought hmmm..Same with the Opticron Verano BGA 8x32.
If anyone is still reading and I haven’t lost you by now, can you please add your two cents?
Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal 2 ct:

a new Kowa Genesis for $ 500 would be an excellent deal (I paid almost three times that much). I like the HG but prefer the Genesis (don‘t know the Passion ED (but the Passion HD) nor the Verano, but would not consider these competition for the Genesis). The only caveat: eye relief is tight if you observe with glasses.
Some further remarks on the Genesis:

Canip

My personal 2 ct:

a new Kowa Genesis for $ 500 would be an excellent deal (I paid almost three times that much). I like the HG but prefer the Genesis (don‘t know the Passion ED (but the Passion HD) nor the Verano, but would not consider these competition for the Genesis). The only caveat: eye relief is tight if you observe with glasses.
[URL
My personal 2 ct:

Canip
My personal 2 ct:

Canip
Thank you for your two cents-worth much more, and for the link. I’m not able to handle the binoculars in person as the store is out of state. I am also disabled and home bound. The only thing holding me back from the Genesis is weight and eye relief. I am “off a certain age” and near sighted, but would view without my glasses. Today is the last day of the sale which I just found out about. I will post an update.

Good luck!!
Would be great if you could exchange the bino in case you order it and find it is not for your eyes (never buy binos based just on the advice of a third person!)

I tried the 8x33 genesis out a few months back and liked them a lot.

Very very sharp, aided by no ca to my eyes at least. Excellent field of view. Also I liked how they looked and all the usual ergonomic suspects with the possible exception of the squared off eye cups were excellent, focus, diopter all excellent

Only things that stopped my buying them was the price which with the deal you've found seems to have been mitigated and compared to there 42mm objective version noticeably less bright when tested back to back, also as mentioned the eye cups weren't quite as comfortable as my old trinovids.

I'm nit picking really though, I'd have bought them if they were the price you can get them for, an excellent binocular.

Good luck!!
Would be great if you could exchange the bino in case you order it and find it is not for your eyes (never buy binos based just on the advice of a third person!)
Thanks..I am going to order by phone instead of online. I was initially told they accept all returns and provide full refunds or exchange. It was recently changed to returns less 15% restocking fee, unless the box is unopened. I need to confirm the policy.

Thanks..I am going to order by phone instead of online. I was initially told they accept all returns and provide full refunds or exchange. It was recently changed to returns less 15% restocking fee, unless the box is unopened. I need to confirm the policy.
I did it!

At that price they are a no brainer (see my comments in Troubador's thread).

The supposed "rolling ball" is not something I have observed.

My pair have remained in regular use since my review in the above thread and I'm still very satisfied.

At that price they are a no brainer (see my comments in Troubador's thread).

The supposed "rolling ball" is not something I have observed.

My pair have remained in regular use since my review in the above thread and I'm still very satisfied.
I didn’t know about the rolling ball on the Kowa. I read reviews about it on the Nikon Monarch HG and that’s what scared me away from it. Other than that I liked it.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back