• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN773/883 with 1.25" star diagonal? (1 Viewer)

iseegeorgesstar

United States
Hello,

I know there are threads about the kowa and astro EP use with the adapter. I'm wondering if one could, or if anyone has tried, using a 1.25" star diagonal with the astro adapter and then an EP? Is focus an issue due to the kowa short f ratio or focuser?

Would adding a diagonal make focusing more difficult or help the optical path?

The spotting scope shows a "correct" image so would a star diagonal reverse this? It would be upside down?

The reason I'm asking is because I've been mulling over the idea of whether to go straight-thru or angled. And it occurred to me that with as astro adapter one could use a diagonal in a straight-thru model thus have best of both worlds in a small way. I was looking at the smaller models of Kowa but only the larger ones seem to accept the astro adapter.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience.

I guess that's why small refractors are still in vogue.

Thank you for the links and information. I had seen straight thru adapters to get refractors into infinity focus. The camera adapter is a novel idea.

Thank you both.

Hi,

in general spotting scopes with their internal focus drive have very limited focus travel as compared to most astro refractors so even if there is a way to mount 1.25" astro EPs usually not all will come to infinity focus - with the big body Kowas, there are two adapters - the one with the grub screw trades some ease of use for a millimeter or two of backfocus - which might be just what your favourite EP needs to come to infinity focus...

So forget about anything that gives extra optical path... unless you also want to use a barlow - that might bring the focal plane out enough for your experiments... but then you must hope that you were lucky in the objective lottery to supprt the higher magnification (remember - insanely fast ED refractor... tricky to get right and will show every bit of aberration very well).

Joachim, who thinks that this is not feasible

Thank you for the comments. I'm reminded of a picture I saw on CN which was also shared here of someone bringing I think it was an ethos EP to focus in a TSN-883 with a long form barlow. Take about long optical chain. :eek:

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back