• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lady Amherst's Pheasant in Yorkshire??? (1 Viewer)

tawny48

United Kingdom
Lady Amherst's Pheasant in Yorkshire???

Hi all! I joined specifically to see if someone could confirm this for me!

I have just been walking my dog (West Yorkshire) and am confident I've just seen a Lady Amherst's Pheasant. I've tried to find information online about them and have searched through this forum, looks like the only sightings in the past few years are down South with a single known male.

I have a (quite terrible) few seconds of video of him - it took a while to grab my phone and he'd wondered into the bush by that point. It's linked in a Google drive folder as too big to upload.

I don't know what else it could have been. Any help appreciated!

Can't see anything in the video but if there is a shooting estate nearly and it didn't look like a Common Pheasant then try Googling Reeves's Pheasant.

Do not forget that Amhersts and also hybrids Amhersts x golden are kept in captivity and may well escape . Reeves pheasant, and others also .

In Germany there was a case recently where someone (non birder) described a bird he had seen and the conclusion was male capercaillie, though quite unlikely . It turned out later that there were two blue eared pheasants (escapes ) at the location.

Can't see anything in the video but if there is a shooting estate nearly and it didn't look like a Common Pheasant then try Googling Reeves's Pheasant.
Hi, thanks for looking. I know the video is horrendous! It definitely wasn't a Reeves. The bird was all black and white other than a bright red spot near the base of it's tail. I've attached a picture of where it is in the video (I know a proper ID is unlikely but you can see the colours in the video).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210121_193850.jpg
    Screenshot_20210121_193850.jpg
    962 KB · Views: 79
Yes it's plausible but really can't be sure from this or rule out other possibilities [golden x lady amherst's for example]. More field work required!

Looks like a Lady Amherst to me. There are occasional birds seen around the country that have escaped or been released by people. There used to be a self-sustaining population, but that is now extinct.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back