• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lagoa dos Salgados (1 Viewer)

I shall be visiting Albufeira for a brief break in early February - my first visit for 10 years. As Salgados (Pera marshes to me) used to be a favourite haunt I wondered whether a visit will be worth the effort or simply too depressing.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Sorry for not replying to this before. Its still worth visiting - though the improvement works are still in there final stages - I personally believe that the site will improve soon. I don't know if the low water levels are due to intentional drainage for the works to be done or if the beach end was breached by waves. There is however lots of water there and plenty of birdlife. The species present at the moment include a few Audouin's and Mediterranean Gulls, A few Caspian Terns and Purple Swamp Hens, Bluethroats, Black-winged Kite, Marsh Harrier the regular waders and duck a few Spoonbills but only a few Flamingos - one of the species that seems to be very low numbers during the works - normally there are 2-400 birds. They seem to be finishing the all important sluice gate - the islands and profiling are finished.

Check to see (pretty sure there is) if there is a local bus service to Pêra village from Albufeira bus station - Lagoa dos Salgados is barely 2kms south of the village but maybe you will be able to get off the bus before the roundabout a little before the village - which is closer.

Make sure the bus you get is a local service that takes you the smaller road passing close to the Salgados golf course (I've seen the local buses go by) - otherwise you may access Pêra via the N125 main road - that would add over a km onto the walk.

I'm sure your hotel reception can sort you out the timing - if not the main bus station in Albufeira can.

A taxi from the centre of Albufeira costs less than 10 Euros one way - some folk I know have done this and arranged for a pick up later.

The main visual impact to folk who know the site is the amount of bare ground and the enlarged size (to the north) - but this will green up very fast - and I think there will be some new reedbed habitat planted yet. Regarding vegetation - the only worry I have is, even though the machinists have done a great job of re-profiling the part of the dunes where the new buried sewage pipe passes, knowing dunes, the original vegetation is lost for the medium/long term as this will now produce a surge of annual plants in high density. This will slow down establishment of the all important dune perennial species. I think it would have been better to put the pipe through rushes and reeds adjacent to the dunes as this wet habitat would return to former values much more quickly. Nevertheless - the work carried out, broadly speaking, looks very good to me.

Last edited:
Thanks Simon. We're off tomorrow - can I access the site by public transport from Albufeira?

Yes, I am sure you can. When we have driven through Herdade Dos Salgados we have seen an open topped tourist bus driving to the car park by the eastern end of the marshes.

I think this is it.... http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/portugal/albufeira.htm

Arm yourself with a Google Map print off and once you get off you can easily walk to the boardwalk.

The Oceano shop nearby does a delicious coffee and pastel de nata for 1.10 Euros.

I managed a visit via a hotel walking trip on the 7th and was suitably impressed by the amount of water and numbers of birds. Work is still underway on the dunes accounting for the lack of wader numbers on the main lakes I assume. We weren't able to get to the river mouth (no time) and this is where we have had good numbers previously, so another time I hope.

For information the hop on/hop off tourist bus (13 euro per day) stops at Salgados beach and runs every 60 mins in winter and every 30 mins in summer. The area is well worth the visit and we shall return.

Lagoa dos Salgados - latest news ?

I was wondering what the latest state of affairs was with Lagoa dos Salgados, does anyone know?
A friend has just returned from the Algarve and tells me:
"You cannot drive up to it as you could before as they put a barrier in and dug up other car tracks into it from car park"
Does this mean that you can no longer drive up to the beach and access the lagoon via the beach car park and board walk?
What about the little fig grove that used to hold migrants, flycatchers,chats and warblers?
Any news would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mick
B :)

I was wondering what the latest state of affairs was with Lagoa dos Salgados, does anyone know?
A friend has just returned from the Algarve and tells me:
"You cannot drive up to it as you could before as they put a barrier in and dug up other car tracks into it from car park"
Does this mean that you can no longer drive up to the beach and access the lagoon via the beach car park and board walk?
What about the little fig grove that used to hold migrants, flycatchers,chats and warblers?
Any news would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mick
B :)

Hi Mick,

I was there on Wednesday and the access is normal except where one would drive in to view from the west side (about half way along the lagoon). The works are very near to completion - they were burying the last of the sewage pipe manhole access points.

They have built close to 20 islands - some small and some very large. The lagoon is divided into 2 halves by a dyke, with a sluice. The northern side is now a larger watershed than normal and the southern side has plenty of water too. Looks like there is a path to go along the western side (they have put short wooden posts along it - about 20 metres back from the water's edge) - and they have erected a viewing screen from the place on the west side I mentioned - where most used to view from. You can still get there with a car but the earth is a bit soft - maybe best with a 4x4 - though I think when the works finally finish, access will be on foot only.

I took a birder in a wheelchair recently too - and the new viewing screen was unusable for him! Basically though - the changes are positive and the birds are already enjoying it! It should improve naturally over the next months and years.

Most of the new islands already have nesting birds - mainly Avocets, Black-winged Stilts and Kentish Plover - there are also some 12 Collared Pratincoles though I cannot see if they are breeding as well as lots of Little Terns. Purple Swamp Hens, Purple Heron, Great Reed Warbler and probably Little Bittern all seem to breeding too. In late April and early May I saw a pair of Audouin's Gulls in courtship on one island - they didn't hang on to breed though. Also I've seen Slender-billed Gull twice in the last weeks - 4 ads and then another day 31 inds! - they just flew in, landed for 5 mins and flew off west.

Regarding the threat of building on the lands on the western flanks - I've heard nothing new.

Last edited:
Hi Mick,

I have just returned home after 10 splendid days in the Algarve, though the weather could have been a little kinder! Simon has given you a good run down regarding the access etc to Lagoa dos Salgados. I have added a few images I took to post on here which I hope will give a good idea of the area now. I was pleased to have seen my first Collared Pratincole here. A Woodchat Shrike perched by the little fig grove you mention was also a pleasing sight. As Simon has said it should improve naturally over the following months and years.

Attachments

• P1170868.JPG
    P1170868.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 46
  • P1170869.JPG
    P1170869.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 57
  • P1170870.JPG
    P1170870.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 45
  • P1170872.JPG
    P1170872.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 47
  • P1180682.JPG
    P1180682.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 65
The last few images:

Attachments

• P1180683.JPG
    P1180683.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 123
  • P1180684.JPG
    P1180684.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 113
  • P1180687.JPG
    P1180687.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 118
Hi Pam - the first photo (of the 8) of yours show a no vehicular access sign - I didn't see that as the last visits I've driven in via the northern end (where there are no signs) - instead of the normal way in. I suspect that the western flanks will only be do-able on foot - probably best anyway. The distances aren't great and if they do put the proposed boardwalk in the access will be easier for those challenged.

You're right about the weather - after a heatwave earlier on this month, temps are well below average - not such a bad thing for the birding though.

I wish they hadn't put the "obligatory" bin there though - why do people keep putting rubbish when its full!? It would be better with no bin IMO.

Last edited:
I reckon having a bin is the lesser of two evils Simon, at least the bins are being used.

I am struggling to find an ID of these insects and wondered if you could help. Are they possibly a Chafer species? They were seen in good numbers on what looked to me like Birdsfoot Trefoil plants.

Attachments

• P1180215.JPG
    P1180215.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 105
  • P1180217.JPG
    P1180217.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 102
I reckon having a bin is the lesser of two evils Simon, at least the bins are being used.

I am struggling to find an ID of these insects and wondered if you could help. Are they possibly a Chafer species? They were seen in good numbers on what looked to me like Birdsfoot Trefoil plants.

I suppose you are right about the bin - sometimes I think no bin would mean less rubbish blowing around. Now they are hanging bags of rubbish on the outside of the bin and starting to make a little pile on the floor. Some people tut..tut ;)

No idea on the insect..can only do butterflies. The plant is Ononis ramosissima (split from O.natrix) - found on dunes and sand down here. In English its Large Yellow Restharrow - now two species I assume.

Thanks for your help Simon, I now know what the plant is.:t: A pretty shrub.

I will put the insect on the appropriate thread for ID.

The Facebook link should open up completely. The blog link doesn't open up on mobile devices I'm afraid - a failing we are hoping to repair soon, but not this week due to pressure of work.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back