• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lagoa dos Salgados (1 Viewer)

Ok got it now. Didn't expect The site to be saved by a flower but greats news and great effort to get this far. Sound like there is still no guarantee that the strategy will work though?

Ok got it now. Didn't expect The site to be saved by a flower but greats news and great effort to get this far. Sound like there is still no guarantee that the strategy will work though?

Its not realy a strategy, more just applying the law - in Portugal most conservation success relies on legally protected species and habitats and much less on public support than in the UK. The southwestern Portuguese endemic plant in question is the Algarvian Toadflax Linaria algarviana is a pet species of mine and when I enquired if it had been included in the EIA (which would have to be from a legal point of view) - it hadn't, as I imagined, becaue the time of year that the EIA was carried out. This plant grows on the dune slacks inland from the coastal dunes exactly where the proposed development is planned (not right next to the wetland). I sent a map of colonies of this plant that I knew were there to Almargem, the Algarvian nature conservation NGO. It will be included in the forthcoming replacement EIA.

The first and contraversial EIA at and around Lagoa dos Salgados was of poor quality done by (AFAIC) an unknown company that lies outside the normal conservation community here. It was an attempt to produce a "legal bit of paper".

Normally EIA's in Portugal are of high quality and rigour carried out by folk who are totally dedicated to conservation - they don't miss protected species!

As this plant has maximum legal protection at national and European level, and occurs in numbers, it would actually be difficult to legalise any habitat destruction. Its presence is a strong contribution to the area's protection - lets hope that the Ministry of the Economy don't step in and vito any decisions from the M of the Environment - they can overide protecting species/habitats in cases where its considered that the local economy benefits substantially.

Attachments

• Linaria_algarviana.jpg
    Linaria_algarviana.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Hi All,
We visited the site today, can I first say what a superb little wetland area, which I am certain with a little bit of greening up will be asthetically pleasing. We thought that te viewing was good especially with the use of the boardwalk.

We were rewarded with good sightings of purple gallinule, black and bar tailed godwits, dunlin, spoonbill, greenshank, collared pratincole and a spotted redshank in summer plumage, together with all the other numerous local birds. We had over 25 species in 40 minutes

I would concur with others that more thought could have been spent, together with money, on the hide, you don't get a lot for just having spent over 1, 000, 000 Euro's. The bins have been empted!

We would look forward to visiting the reserve in the Spring.

Regards

BillD

Its not realy a strategy, more just applying the law - in Portugal most conservation success relies on legally protected species and habitats and much less on public support than in the UK. The southwestern Portuguese endemic plant in question is the Algarvian Toadflax Linaria algarviana is a pet species of mine and when I enquired if it had been included in the EIA (which would have to be from a legal point of view) - it hadn't, as I imagined, becaue the time of year that the EIA was carried out. This plant grows on the dune slacks inland from the coastal dunes exactly where the proposed development is planned (not right next to the wetland). I sent a map of colonies of this plant that I knew were there to Almargem, the Algarvian nature conservation NGO. It will be included in the forthcoming replacement EIA.

The first and contraversial EIA at and around Lagoa dos Salgados was of poor quality done by (AFAIC) an unknown company that lies outside the normal conservation community here. It was an attempt to produce a "legal bit of paper".

Normally EIA's in Portugal are of high quality and rigour carried out by folk who are totally dedicated to conservation - they don't miss protected species!

As this plant has maximum legal protection at national and European level, and occurs in numbers, it would actually be difficult to legalise any habitat destruction. Its presence is a strong contribution to the area's protection - lets hope that the Ministry of the Economy don't step in and vito any decisions from the M of the Environment - they can overide protecting species/habitats in cases where its considered that the local economy benefits substantially.

Great news Simon,thanks for explaining the situation to us.
Let's hope that all goes to plan and the reserve gets the protection in deserves.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was at Lagoa dos Salgados. When I arrived at the small observatory on the western side I realized that it had been seriuosly damaged: several boards had been removed (both from the wall and from the benches). The structure is now almost useless.

Considering that the wood is of good quality, it seems to me that the main purpose of this action was not to destroy, but really to steal.

Some pictures attached.

salgados1.jpg

salgados2.jpg

salgados3.jpg

Considering that the wood is of good quality, it seems to me that the main purpose of this action was not to destroy, but really to steal.

My thoughts exactly - I saw the place a couple of days ago. Its a shame. I think the measurements of the seats and viewing slots need adjusting - and also some wheelchair friendly viewing space would be good. If the viewing screen is repaired these adjustments could possibly be made (?). I noticed that some screws were of the security type and others are normal, maybe that made it easy for the thieves. I understood that there is a boardwalk to be installed along the westen flanks - maybe I'm mistaken?

Hi all,

I am planning to visit the Salgados at the beginning of next October, I am wondering if the access by car is still allowed or something is changed (with respect to indications contained in the most recent Gosney's book, for ex.).
Also, do you think that the place is worth a visit now , or bulldozers are still working?

Many thanks
Stefano

Last edited:
I think there has been no machine work since about June - even when there was it really wasn't spoiling the birding. Its all quiet on the work front now and the birding is very good at the moment. One now has to walk around the perimeter - no more driving to the western side. Its only 5 mins walk from the beach car park (western) to the new view point.

We were there yesterday. There were several cars at the western end and the track gave the appearance of being well-used, which is not surprising as there is no barrier to driving and it is the shallow end that has the most birds.
The water level was higher than one might like with little shore line available for waders. Having said that we did see about a dozen wader species but mostly in small numbers. Lots of gulls were loafing on the islands including a few Audouin's.

Any more news on the golf course development since the discovery of the toadflax?

I have been done this week and it is starting to recover from all the mechanical work carrid out althoughnthere are stil areas where the ground will take a while to recover.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back