• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large birds of prey (1 Viewer)

lizu

England
Hello All I am new to the Forum I live in Thurrock Essex and have just been watching 4 very large birds of prey circling very high above us I thought they might have been Buzzards as I know they are around here but they seemed lighter in colour although I know this can vary but just not sure if they were the right shape . `Does anyone have any other ideas please.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Are you able to describe them in any more detail? Colour? You think they were about the size of a gull - which sort of gull?

This was just at first sight they were large my son managed to get a photo which you may be able to identify it from I will get him to send in on to me shortly. Thank you for your help the thing we did notice was that they dandy cry in the way buzzards do whilst circling together

This is the photo he got but to be fair it is not very good. They were going round at different heights in the way buzzards would45E52620-F314-4C92-A2DE-A0047D6C7C37_1_105_c.jpeg

it does in this picture you are right but i dont think they were
The picture definitely shows a gull, and soaring is a common behaviour for many gull species. Of course, it's possible that you also saw some Buzzards, as the behaviour you described (soaring in small groups) is fairly typical for Buzzards during migration.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back