• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migratory birds direction in winter (1 Viewer)

sriramoda

Germany
Hi all,
I am currently living in NRW region, Germany. I watched large group of birds flying towards north western direction in the sky. Their flying pattern is like v-shaped. I was just wondering which bird species would be flying towards colder places in winter and why? I would be happy to know about this.
Thank you

Welcome to BirdForum. It's an interesting question. Keep in mind that a lot of birds head as much west as south for the winter in Europe, since western Europe is generally much milder than the east. I live in northeast Scotland and a year or so back I saw a Black-headed Gull that had a colour ring. When I contacted the ringers, they told me the bird had regularly been reported in my area over several winters. It was originally ringed at a breeding colony in northern Germany. It seems as though that bird normally migrates northwest for the winter.

Welcome to BirdForum. It's an interesting question. Keep in mind that a lot of birds head as much west as south for the winter in Europe, since western Europe is generally much milder than the east. I live in northeast Scotland and a year or so back I saw a Black-headed Gull that had a colour ring. When I contacted the ringers, they told me the bird had regularly been reported in my area over several winters. It was originally ringed at a breeding colony in northern Germany. It seems as though that bird normally migrates northwest for the winter.
Thank you so much. That explains why they are flying in north west direction.

Hi sriramoda and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I have similar confusion here, with geese flying north. But this is usually in the morning time and they heading off for the day to feed somewhere. They then fly south to their favoured loch (lake) to roost for the night.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Welcome!

Your birds can be also gulls. They fly long distances every evening to their sleeping places on large waters. It is not related to migration,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back