• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Gull - UK, 28 Dec 21 (1 Viewer)

GMS

On first glance I thought it would be a Caspian Gull, based on prominent white head, collar, white rump and nice defined tail band.
However it's got a dark underwing (thus ruling out the former), a poorly defined primary window and a dark smudge around the eye.
That makes me think it may be a YLG. The tail pattern would fit this also. However I can't see any moult in the coverts which most should be showing at this time of year and the pattern on the scaps is not very striking.
So bottom line is I'm not sure on this one and any comments would be most welcome.

IMG_0931-1.jpgIMG_0932-1.jpgIMG_0936-2.jpgIMG_0938-2.jpg

i had a very similar bird at redcar tarn a while back the outcome was a herring caspian hybrid but with more caspian genes_I0A5951.jpg

According to Collins, a dark underwing for Juv/imm YLG and a pale underwing for cachinnans.

Cheers

“My” field guide is probably the most widely used field guide in Europe Smiths, thus I can’t lay claim to having sole ownership.
Regarding to what Brian knows or doesn’t know that is indeed a conundrum!
As I can recall his parting shot to a particular thread comment a few years back now…with “who am I?” (referring to himself).

Ken, the point is that you seem to be lecturing someone who knows very well what he is talking about.
I’m not lecturing anybody and wouldn’t presume to, I merely pointed out the text in Collins for all and sunder, Brian was not even on my radar.
From my perspective, the “lecturing” is definitely not coming from this direction…..

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back