• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large raptor - Lintzford Lane (1 Viewer)

Mr Gon

Driving home just now (5pm) I came through Hamsterley and a Red Kite flew over my car. This is relevant as it demonstrates that I know the size and jizz of a Kite. As I neared Lintzford Lane to drive up it, I could see another large raptor in the field at the bottom of the lane. It appeared to be Kite sized, but as I drove nearer, it was sat up hovering a bit like a Kestrel and certainly didn't have a forked tail. I've heard that Buzzards can hover at times and also some owl species. To my mind the raptor was as big as a Kite, hence too big to be a Buzzard? Any thoughts?

FYI I drive this road every day and have not seen a bird like this before.

Thanks in advance, Rob.

Kestrels, of course, hover with almost motionless wings. Buzzards don't, there is a definite flap going on - and IIRC that applies especially to Rough-legs. Go on, shoot me down.

Depends on if there is a wind - both Buzzards and Rough-legs hover without flapping in a suitable breeze but on a still day hover with more vigourous flapping.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back