• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Larus Gull Sichuan China (1 Viewer)

china guy

A taff living in Sichuan
Seen today - larger Larus Gull - I think its probably Vega ssp mongolicus (Mongolian Gull) - but Im finding it difficult to separate from Caspian or even Steppe Gull. Any gull experts have an idea

Attachments

• _MG_0230.JPG
    _MG_0230.JPG
    636.2 KB · Views: 37
  • _MG_0244.JPG
    _MG_0244.JPG
    590.7 KB · Views: 35
  • _MG_0255.JPG
    _MG_0255.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 37
  • _MG_0335.JPG
    _MG_0335.JPG
    679.9 KB · Views: 31
  • _MG_0350.JPG
    _MG_0350.JPG
    554.4 KB · Views: 31
  • _MG_0355.JPG
    _MG_0355.JPG
    398.4 KB · Views: 28
  • _MG_0394.JPG
    _MG_0394.JPG
    543.6 KB · Views: 31
  • _MG_0401.JPG
    _MG_0401.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 29
  • _MG_0402.JPG
    _MG_0402.JPG
    556.1 KB · Views: 27
  • _MG_0404.JPG
    _MG_0404.JPG
    499.6 KB · Views: 31
I can't help in the least with your ID, but since no-one else has answered, can I just say that I am really surprised to have a gull question here from Sichuan! I've been to Lake Baikal and seen Mongolian Gulls there, but I would never have expected gulls in Sichuan - are they winter visitors and what kind of location are they in? Lake Baikal is a sea in itself obviously, but I didn't know there was any similar location in Sichuan.

Some people on Bird Forum object to posts or replies that are even a little bit 'off-topic'. So I will declare my connection with this topic by saying that:

1. My brother went to university in Cardiff, and my nephew was born there (Taff)
2. I visited Chengdu in 1983 (Sichuan)
3. We sometimes have gulls near my house - but strangely never Vega or Slaty-backed

In 1983, for a foreigner to get a tourist visa for China was not so easy, but an ex- (or semi-) girlfriend was studying Chinese in the country and her father was a visiting professor (English Literature, nothing to do with China as such at all) in Shanghai (Fudan), so things were worked out. We did a five-week tour by train. Because of her father ('distinguished foreign professor') we all got permits to visit Xishuanbanna which in those days was not merely closed, but landlocked (a very scary flight from Kunming to Simao was part of the package) - though even there Deng XiaoPing's reforms were having an effect (jeans had reached Xishuanbanna).

The main thing I remember from Chengdu is visiting a temple. My friend was a blondish white Canadian. We were approached by an old lady and her grand-daughter. The grand-daughter had Chinese features but straw-blonde hair. Remember that until a couple of years earlier China had been closed off, television had barely reached China, and so knowledge of the outside world by 'ordinary' Chinese was little. So, we guessed that the child had possibly been bullied because of her hair colour. Anyway, the granny approached us saying to the child, 'See, you're not alone, a sister of yours has come to visit'. My friend and the grandmother had a short conversation. I don't remember whether the grandmother was surprised or not that my friend spoke Chinese - on the one hand, foreigners were 'foreign'; on the other hand, I remember that many 'ordinary' Chinese thought that the only language in the world was Chinese and that if you didn't speak it you were mentally defective in some way (so they were actually especially kind to you, at least in my personal experience).

There are theories about various 'European' groups ending up in China and being the cause of this 'blonde Chinese' thing (just as Mongol groups ended up in Europe). It doesn't matter; it's just an anecdote.

I haven't visited China since I took up birding, but I wish I had been into birds before our last visit there in 2005.

In those days, of course, there was no digital stuff. You put film in your camera and hoped things worked out when it was developed. And it was expensive, so you didn't take so many shots (and indeed, you photographed what your saw, not yourself). Forunately, most of my slides were OK.

Photo One: Temple in Chengdu (I think)

Photo Two: Xishuanbanna village

Photo Three: We photographed this potter and his family - at their request - we sent photos to them later, though whether they arrived or not we never knew. I suppose those children would now be late forties; I wonder what they are doing? The potter ran a 'Climbing Kiln' - slightly angled up a hillside, so the temperatures are different at different heights, I think.

Photo Four: The daughter and her children from photo Two - the take-away is that the children have no idea what is happening when a camera is pointed at them, unlike the automatic V-signs of today.

China 1983 283.JPGChina 1983 241.JPGChina 1983 232.JPGChina 1983 235.JPG

apart from pic 3 which shows a Mongolian Gull (Larus vegae mongolicus) all other birds posted look to be Heuglin's Gulls, Larus fuscus taimyrensis.

apart from pic 3 which shows a Mongolian Gull (Larus vegae mongolicus) all other birds posted look to be Heuglin's Gulls, Larus fuscus taimyrensis.
Thanks Lou - the lighting was terrible, mist and rain - the bird in pic 3 is the bird with undamaged face in the other pics - the darker/lighter tones of plumage must be due to camera artefact - a light sensor trying to make sense of the crappy weather. I've left all the pictures unedited apart from cropping - but think the lighter tones of pic 3 represent the true colours better than the others. These are firsts for the Greater Chengdu list otherwise id never put such terrible photos forward - I'm calling them Mongolian

I can't help in the least with your ID, but since no-one else has answered, can I just say that I am really surprised to have a gull question here from Sichuan! I've been to Lake Baikal and seen Mongolian Gulls there, but I would never have expected gulls in Sichuan - are they winter visitors and what kind of location are they in? Lake Baikal is a sea in itself obviously, but I didn't know there was any similar location in Sichuan.

Some people on Bird Forum object to posts or replies that are even a little bit 'off-topic'. So I will declare my connection with this topic by saying that:

1. My brother went to university in Cardiff, and my nephew was born there (Taff)
2. I visited Chengdu in 1983 (Sichuan)
3. We sometimes have gulls near my house - but strangely never Vega or Slaty-backed

In 1983, for a foreigner to get a tourist visa for China was not so easy, but an ex- (or semi-) girlfriend was studying Chinese in the country and her father was a visiting professor (English Literature, nothing to do with China as such at all) in Shanghai (Fudan), so things were worked out. We did a five-week tour by train. Because of her father ('distinguished foreign professor') we all got permits to visit Xishuanbanna which in those days was not merely closed, but landlocked (a very scary flight from Kunming to Simao was part of the package) - though even there Deng XiaoPing's reforms were having an effect (jeans had reached Xishuanbanna).

The main thing I remember from Chengdu is visiting a temple. My friend was a blondish white Canadian. We were approached by an old lady and her grand-daughter. The grand-daughter had Chinese features but straw-blonde hair. Remember that until a couple of years earlier China had been closed off, television had barely reached China, and so knowledge of the outside world by 'ordinary' Chinese was little. So, we guessed that the child had possibly been bullied because of her hair colour. Anyway, the granny approached us saying to the child, 'See, you're not alone, a sister of yours has come to visit'. My friend and the grandmother had a short conversation. I don't remember whether the grandmother was surprised or not that my friend spoke Chinese - on the one hand, foreigners were 'foreign'; on the other hand, I remember that many 'ordinary' Chinese thought that the only language in the world was Chinese and that if you didn't speak it you were mentally defective in some way (so they were actually especially kind to you, at least in my personal experience).

There are theories about various 'European' groups ending up in China and being the cause of this 'blonde Chinese' thing (just as Mongol groups ended up in Europe). It doesn't matter; it's just an anecdote.

I haven't visited China since I took up birding, but I wish I had been into birds before our last visit there in 2005.

In those days, of course, there was no digital stuff. You put film in your camera and hoped things worked out when it was developed. And it was expensive, so you didn't take so many shots (and indeed, you photographed what your saw, not yourself). Forunately, most of my slides were OK.

Photo One: Temple in Chengdu (I think)

Photo Two: Xishuanbanna village

Photo Three: We photographed this potter and his family - at their request - we sent photos to them later, though whether they arrived or not we never knew. I suppose those children would now be late forties; I wonder what they are doing? The potter ran a 'Climbing Kiln' - slightly angled up a hillside, so the temperatures are different at different heights, I think.

Photo Four: The daughter and her children from photo Two - the take-away is that the children have no idea what is happening when a camera is pointed at them, unlike the automatic V-signs of today.

View attachment 1476548View attachment 1476550View attachment 1476551View attachment 1476552
Nice mail MacNara - I was also in Chengdu in the 80's but a a few years after you - its obviously changed a lot!!!! We live well away from the big city and I only go there 2 or 3 times a year (If i can help it). We do get gulls but not too many - Black-headed Gull in winter in the most numerous but Pallas's Gull is also fairly regular. However up on the Tibetan grasslands plenty of Brown-headed Gulls.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back