• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late breeding (1 Viewer)

Mad_BMS

Hi

Just looked out at feeders and was suprised to see 2 newly fledged Goldfinches being fed by their mother in the tree.

The goldfinches had disappeared as they do over the summer but have been coming back last couple of weeks but youngsters in September:eek!: Anyone else noticing this?

Yes, Tom, we've also had a family of goldies at the feeder the past few days. Adults looking quite worn out and youngsters learning the ropes.

A pair of Collared doves finished their "new " nest a fortnight ago in the pepper tree and are sitting presumably on eggs at the moment,is this a climate/food thing or what!!

Yeh not sure reason maybe just a good year for food but I have been recording numbers in my garden for about 4 years now and cannot remember seeing as many juv. green and goldfinch as I have this year. Not complaining though :)

Yes goldfinches have been returning to my feeders over the past few days, including a family party with two recent fledglings. Great to see them back!

From what I've learned, Goldfinches, both American and European, can be late breeders depending on the thistle seed availability.

From what I've learned, Goldfinches, both American and European, can be late breeders depending on the thistle seed availability.

Hi Gentoo

Could be as I was watching them in a local country park feeding on our thistles last month. They seeds were abundant. It was a pleasure to watch the flock moving around there was even a sparrowhawk missed despite the number of targets. Thanks for update.

We get very few Goldfinches here but last week i had new looking Greenfinches beimg fed by parents at the Heddle feeding station and have had another report of young looking Greenfinches being fed by parent birds in the country. I dont realy know how late it is for them but strikes me as pretty late in the season for them now.

Late Goldies here too, with parents still feeding young. I wonder if some of the first batch failed due to the weather that was here when the first brood were in the nest; a job to getting natural food for them then perhaps.

Sue.

Same here in the middle part of Southern England. As I said elsewhere in BF, I have noted Goldfinches on the feeders every day that I have been able to record for the Garden Birdwatch for about 2 years. Today, for instance, there were at least a dozen in at any one time, comprising 8 adults and the rest juveniles of which most were being fed by the adults. Looks like second broods all over the place. No wonder Goldies are getting so common-place in gardens now!

I have not only big numbers of young goldies but even larger numbers of young Greenfinch coming to my feeders.

They are devouring the Sunflower Hearts at an alarming rate and even dropping to the ground in waves to pick up the pieces that have dropped to the floor.

John

Yesterday I had a family of Goldfinches and a family of Greenfinches feeding on my patio feeders and today a female House sparrow with 4 youngsters!

Yesterday found an eggshell of presumably Collared Dove on my doorsteps. Heard male calling few days before.

Well seems like there is no stopping the finches this year thanks for replies. I am heading up North to Kingussie (near Aviemore) tomorrow if I see youngsters up there at the end of September then global warming is here :eek!:

Edit
sorry also the doves and dunnocks.

Last edited:
I thought I was just crazy, but have noted the same thing. I think it's quite interesting when a fledgling flies right up to a perch near the feeder and keeps calling out for a feeding. The parents keep hopping from the perch to the feeder and feeding the youngster when they are right there. My books say that Goldfinches are capable of multiple hatches in a year depending on conditions. With the early summer and still high temps for most of the U.S. this is not surprising.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back