• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late IDs of my trip to Namibia in July. (1 Viewer)

ori76

I manage to ID most of my birds from my trip to Namibia in July. I post here the last batch of bad pictures just in case someone can manage a late identification

1. Stampriet
Central Namibia July.jpg

2. Damara
no clue Damara.jpg

3. ¿Pale channting gosshawk?
Pale chanting gosshawk Damara.jpg

4. Possible cape vulture?
Possible cape vulture Etosha.jpg

5. ¿lark like bunting?
Possible lark like bunting damara.jpg

6. Mountain wheatear? Damara
damara.jpg

7. ¿? Namib
namib.jpg

8 Sandgrouse? Namib
sandgrouse.jpg

9 ¿?Central Namibia
stampriet.jpg

Thanks in advance

Ricardo

Last edited:
I manage to ID most of my birds from my trip to Naminia in July. I post here the last batch of bad pictures just in case someone can manage a late identification

Stampriet
View attachment 1477791
Lesser swamp warbler I think

Booted eagle (pale inner primaries)
¿Pale channting gosshawk?
View attachment 1477793
Y
Suspect it's white-backed as it's pretty dark. But I can't tell what colour the eyes are. White-headed in front; maybe Cape would look bigger than this?
Y
Mountain wheatear? Damara
View attachment 1477796
Y; f as no white in wing. I think ant-eating chat is shorter tailed, and I can just about see white outer tail feathers
¿? Namib
View attachment 1477798
I think must be Southern grey-headed sparrow. There is a bit of a white wing flash
Sandgrouse? Namib
View attachment 1477799
Chunky shape makes me think rock Martin although I can't see white in the tail (alternative is plain/brown-throated Martin: not a sandgrouse)
Scaly-feathered Finch (eye ring, pink bill, dark, pale-edged wing coverts)
Thanks in advance

Ricardo

Thanks for your answer. Lesser swamp warbler was not on Stampriet on ebird records, but It looks quite widespread, although with few records.

For the rest you have convinced me.

The only doubts are with the possible rock martin. (Photo 8). Still doesn´t looks like that to me exactly. But you are right, never a sandgrouse.
And the possible southern great sparrow does also not look it to me (photo 7) I see red legs and some scaly breast.

Last edited:
Lesser swamp warbler ... southern great sparrow...
Don't know what you are referring to. Would help if you put a number in front of each photo.
It's unhelpful and confusing if you make substantive edits to the text of your original post. If you change your mind it's better to put that in an additional message. No offence. Thanks.

Don't know what you are referring to. Would help if you put a number in front of each photo.
It's unhelpful and confusing if you make substantive edits to the text of your original post. If you change your mind it's better to put that in an additional message. No offence. Thanks.
Yep, you are right. Numbers in the photos will help. About the editing it was only spelling that I fixed. I had written Naminia instead of Namibia.

About the editing it was only spelling that I fixed.
The quotes in Fern's post show that you made substantial textual changes.
Thanks for adding numbers. Now you will be able to explain your reference to lesser swamp warbler?
8. Very plausibly a rock martin.

Ah. I take it that in fact Fern has edited his own comments within quotes of your text. Confusion upon confusion! My apologies - and on behalf of Fern's (phone?!) typing.

The quotes in Fern's post show that you made substantial textual changes.
Thanks for adding numbers. Now you will be able to explain your reference to lesser swamp warbler?
8. Very plausibly a rock martin.
I was referring to photo number 1. Lesser swamp warbler convinced me, but now SJC proposes Tawny-flanked Prinia but that is even more outranged than the lesser swamp warbler as per ebird. We are speaking of Mariental, south of Windhoek

And the possible southern great sparrow does also not look it to me (photo 7) I see red legs and some scaly breast.
Well I'm not 100% sure it is Southern grey-headed sparrow (e.g. bill is rather heavy) but I couldn't come up with a better candidate. I think the scaly breast is an artifact, probably caused by raised feathers. Macauley images show the legs of this species can appear quite variable in colour: I would say they appear orangy blending to blackish in your photo (rather than red) which is ok

Then it has to be black chested prinia. I got one other horrible photo with orange legs and I did see other black chested prinias around.
Yes I think this is a better candidate. Note, though, that lesser swamp warbler often doesn't look like a typical Acrocephalus in many of photos. Also, tail in yours appears short for a prinia---which I think it's due to the angle (and consequent foreshortening)

1. Is certainly a Black Chested Prinia
3. Yes, juv Pale Chanting
5. Yes, Lark-like bunting
6. Probably Mountain Wheatear
7. Red Headed Finch ? Female
8. Yeah, I agree with Rock Martin
9. Scaly Weavers/Finch

7. Red Headed Finch ? Female
Bill is reasonable for this, but not seeing any indication of pale covert tips, and in my experience barring is more obvious + should extend up throat. Also darker than i'd expect, but this might be due to photo quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back