• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (1 Viewer)

Elseyornis melanopsBlack-fronted DotterelCharadrius melanops TAX, PHY Black-fronted Dotterel was previously assigned to the monotypic genus Elseyornis. But phylogenetic analyses show it to be sister to the two species formerly assigned to Thinornis, Hooded Plover and Shore Plover, which are now included in Charadrius (Barth et al. 2013; Černý & Natale 2022).
Thinornis cucullatus, Thinornis novaeseelandiaeHooded Dotterel, Shore Dotterel (now Hooded Plover, Shore Plover)Charadrius cucullatus, Charadrius novaeseelandiae TAX, PHY Hooded Dotterel and Shore Dotterel (now Hooded Plover and Shore Plover), formerly included in the genus Thinornis, are embedded in Charadrius in phylogenetic analysis (dos Remedios et al. 2015).

Following this thread, Black-fronted Dotterel is now also in Charadrius.
Shouldn't the English name change as well since the other 2 become 'Plovers'? Or is there a reason not to?

Following this thread, Black-fronted Dotterel is now also in Charadrius.
Shouldn't the English name change as well since the other 2 become 'Plovers'? Or is there a reason not to?
Keeping the English name unchanged when a species is moved from genus to genus has a value in terms of stability and access to information about that species. Changing both at the same time seems to me to be unnecessarily disruptive and, indeed, unhelpful. It's scientific names not English names that reflect taxonomists' current opinions about birds' relationships.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that plover/dotterel have been used interchangeably for Hooded and Shore, whereas I'm not sure Black-fronted has been commonly known as anything other than Dotterel (same for Red-kneed)? I may well be incorrect though.

It is my understanding that plover/dotterel have been used interchangeably for Hooded and Shore, whereas I'm not sure Black-fronted has been commonly known as anything other than Dotterel (same for Red-kneed)? I may well be incorrect though.
Black-fronted Plover has been used at least occasionally (e.g. by the Queensland Wader Study Group here and also in Shorebirds) but clearly very much less often than Black-fronted Dotterel.

Since IOC doesn't include it in the split species:
Cambodian Flowerpecker Dicaeum cambodianum, Sumatran Flowerpecker Dicaeum beccarii, and Fire-throated Flowerpecker Dicaeum luzoniense (including bonga and apo) are split from Fire-breasted Flowerpecker D. ignipectus based on substantial, non-clinal differences in plumage (HBW/BirdLife, WGAC).
It's very likely staying in Fire-breasted Flowerpecker Dicaeum ignipectus

Ebird also has a group Fire-breasted Flowerpecker (Fire-breasted) Dicaeum ignipectus ignipectus/dolichorhynchum

Oct 30 Revise linear sequence of species within Turnicidae.

Oct 30 Revise linear sequence of genera and species within Jacanidae.

Oct 30 Revise genera and linear sequence of species within Burhinidae.

Oct 30 Revise linear sequence of species within Turnicidae.

Oct 30 Revise linear sequence of genera and species within Jacanidae.

Oct 30 Revise genera and linear sequence of species within Burhinidae.
These are all included in the corresponding Clements/eBird updates - I have just modified my own spreadsheet with them.

Looks like its "linear sequence week"

Oct 31 Revise linear sequence of species within Fregatidae.

Oct 31 Revise linear sequence of genera and species within Diomedeidae.

Oct 31 Revise linear sequence of genera and species within Alcidae.

Oct 31 Revise linear sequence of species within Stercorariidae.

It's also known as Black-fronted Dotterel here in Australia where it is almost an endemic, and we dislike having overseas names imposed on us, my general rule is use the name in the standard country field guides unless there is some overriding reason to change.
We have a similar issue in the UK where 'Knot' is gradually becoming 'Red Knot' and 'Grey Plover' becoming 'Black-bellied'.

That's a mega in the UK (half a dozen records?) so Knot really an issue there (y)
.....and everybody who birds in the UK knows that? including visiting birders? That's the whole point about the binomial system. It's only us arrogant Brits who have 'The Wheatear', 'The Swallow'. 'The Wren' etc......:ROFLMAO:

.....and everybody who birds in the UK knows that? including visiting birders? That's the whole point about the binomial system. It's only us arrogant Brits who have 'The Wheatear', 'The Swallow'. 'The Wren' etc......:ROFLMAO:
You mean Northern, Barn and Eurasian respectively?

There are two, Knot species with two, already, different names, what more is needed.

Last edited:
Looks like its "linear sequence week"

Oct 31 Revise linear sequence of species within Fregatidae.

Oct 31 Revise linear sequence of genera and species within Diomedeidae.

Oct 31 Revise linear sequence of genera and species within Alcidae.

Oct 31 Revise linear sequence of species within Stercorariidae.
Super massively annoying and pointless exercise which serves to confuse everyone for years to come...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back