• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LBJ East of England Today (1 Viewer)

Hi
Saw this bird this evening, it was found in a scrubby area on the Thames Estuary much frequented by Stonechats, I was trying to take some digiscoped photos of the Stonechats when the bird I was trying to photo moved out of the field of view. I brought up my bin's to search for it and thought it had hopped along a branch, a minor adjustment to my scope later and this bird was in the viewfinder but was clearly not the male Stonechat I was trying to photo, although of a similar size. I took a few shots but it was difficult to see what it was with the sun behind me shining on the screen, and having removed the camera I looked through the eyepiece and it had gone. I didn't give it any more thought thinking it was likely a female/juv stonechat but having seen the photos I'm not so sure. Bill looks too long for starters, no supercilium so I guess it's not a Whinchat either, got something of a Female Wheatear look to the colouration but I'm sure it's more Stonechat in size. Sadly I only have about 9 photos of it none of which show it's tail clearly and the wings are partialy obscured in all of them as well.

Attachments

• 2006_0917Image40107.JPG
    2006_0917Image40107.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 2006_0917Image40122.JPG
    2006_0917Image40122.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 2006_0917Image40126.JPG
    2006_0917Image40126.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 162
Autumn chats and their relatives can be tricky.

I hope the Wheatear's not too offended about being called an LBJ

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back