• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven, Meopta or Zeiss 10 x 42? (2 Viewers)

I really think the Nikon HG needs to be in this list. Its right there with the other three options optically and ergonomically. The field of view is super wide and the bino is light and compact. Build quality is quite high, perhaps ever so slightly less than the listed options. Also, you should include GPO Passion HD. I havent held one, but people say it has the highest build quality at $1000, and better optics than the Conquest HD, which is very hard to do at that price. The only way to end up with the best for you is to buy and try all these side by side. Easier said than done, I know...

I compared the Conquest 10x42HD very closely to the Meostar 10x42HD, which led me to purchasing the Meostar, which has been my main bino for over 6 years now.

The Conquest has better transmission, slightly wider FOV and slightly more ER, it's also a fair bit lighter. The Meostar had better on axis resolution (tested on a resolution chart, binos mounted on a tripod, admittedly sample variation could be at play) better edge correction, slightly better CA control and more of that alpha pop. Both control glare very well. I like the build quality and armor of the Meostar more.

It was a really close call as the lower weight of the Conquest was appealing. The image quality of the Meostar ultimately won me over though. I don't buy and sell much and they have been my only full sized bino for 6 years now. Very happy with them. I'm sure I'd be content with the Conquest as well.

Last edited:
Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 (discounted heavily atm to $999) - probably optically best of the bunch - if you really don't like CA, you won't get any there... neither small nor light though.
jring,

Where??? I see NO online vendor selling the Kowa Genesis 10.5 x 44 for $999.

Both the Meostar and the Monarch HG 10X42s are good glass, however the Meopta Meostar (B1-Plus) are now more $$$ and a bit heavier (if weight is a concern). No real experience with the Zeiss. If one can get a Meostar B1 HD or B1.1 HD for less than $1,000, that is a very good value they have a transferrable warranty. If you purchase the Nikon I would buy it new to ensure warranty coverage.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back