• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid HD 10x32 - user opinions (1 Viewer)

Allen

Hi all. I am looking to buy a sub £1000 10x32 pair of binoculars as I don't always want to carry my Swarovski EL 10x42 around. It seems that Leica Ultravid HD (not the HD+) can be found in this price bracket. Any users views on these? Other brands/models that might be better? Thanks

Not necessarily, just other quality options.
Anything in that bracket will be great. The differences are small.
I haven't looked throught the 'non' HD+.... only the HD+, and they were good.
I've heard the difference is minimal.
I recently bought some BN 8x32's and they are great too. Old school though!!

Hi @Allen. My experience is different with UV HD 10x32 compared to @Rg548. Recently I acquired a used UV HD 10x32 and was blown away by the view through it. I like it more than my NL Pure 8x42 basically because of the less weight, size, and non-flat field. It seems the less eye-relief of UV made the view more immersive to me. The less weight of it makes handling easier even with a small exit pupil. So, it is not necessarily true that the differences among binoculars in the same price range (or even higher) are minimal. It is all about your face shape and personal preferences (mostly). If you have any chance the best way to try all of them and select one (as always). I wish you good luck with finding your best pair of binoculars.

Hi all. I am looking to buy a sub £1000 10x32 pair of binoculars as I don't always want to carry my Swarovski EL 10x42 around. It seems that Leica Ultravid HD (not the HD+) can be found in this price bracket. Any users views on these? Other brands/models that might be better? Thanks
Hi Allen,

if you wear eyeglasses it could be a bit tight with the UV.

The Conquest 10x32 is also very nice, but when it comes to size the UV obviously has an advantage.

Andreas

Allen, I know the Ultravid HD 10x32 very well and I really like them. The view is very nice. Not the sharpest and not the brightest but very appealing. Glare control is very good, better than in the UV 7x42 for example.
I also know the EL 8.5x42 but not your 10x. The UV HD 10x32 differ in many respects from the ELs. Their field is curved and they have strong pincushion distortion, which makes the huge FOV even more impressive and immersive. They lack, however, the SV crystalline brightness and exhibit a bit too much CA for me. Eye placement is not as easy as on the (8.5x) ELs. They're fine on bright days but seem a bit dim on dull or overcast days. Just opinion. Hope that helps.

You should also consider Zeiss FL 10x32, a better candidate for "sharpest and brightest" than Leica UV. I'm impressed with the one I got recently, having used HD+ for ~5 years. Similar weight, and to me it handles better also. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned already.

I do like Swarovski EL 10x42 and 8.5x42, but then equally like Conquest 8x32 although found Conquest 10x32 difficult to gel with so sold it.

How would a Swarovski EL 10x32 rate in this mix?

In my experience the EDG, UV HD+, FL and SW in 10x32 are all outstanding so it will likely come down to which handles better and/or which image "style" the user prefers. Differences in size and weight are slight but the Leicas are the smallest. I have looked through various Leicas in both original UV and HD+ but never an HD. The image of the HD+ is very slightly brighter than the original UV in direct comparison.

Mike

Hi @Allen. My experience is different with UV HD 10x32 compared to @Rg548. Recently I acquired a used UV HD 10x32 and was blown away by the view through it. I like it more than my NL Pure 8x42 basically because of the less weight, size, and non-flat field. It seems the less eye-relief of UV made the view more immersive to me. The less weight of it makes handling easier even with a small exit pupil. So, it is not necessarily true that the differences among binoculars in the same price range (or even higher) are minimal. It is all about your face shape and personal preferences (mostly). If you have any chance the best way to try all of them and select one (as always). I wish you good luck with finding your best pair of binoculars.
I couldn't agree more! :)

Attachments

• Neanderthaler_Fund.png
    Neanderthaler_Fund.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 4
The color rendition of the Ultravids is exceptional. I think new the HD plus incorporate the Schott HT glass and new coatings. Still, the standard Ultravids were the Leica premium offering precursor to the Noctivids - so performance is top tier.

Here is a review of the 10x42....

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back