• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lemon check on used equipment (2 Viewers)

svenh

Germany
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and new to the spotting scope hobby. So: Hello to everybody!

I'm looking forward to buy a used ATX / BTX Swarovski scope (85 or 95), since there is good used equipment market here in Germany. (Offers are mostly 50% off list price).

I want to know if you can give me some advice to check the optics quickly on location when it is about to buy the equipment.
I read a lot about star testing, but I'm sure that I cannot do this in a few minutes at a seller location.
Of course I would check the obvious:
  • any scratches and discolouration on the visibil lenses
  • does focus and zoom ring work smoothly
  • is the focusing working on close and more far away objects.

Any other advices?
I'm thankfull for every hint!

Best regards,
Sven

If the sun is shining, ball bearings reflecting the sun at say 20 or 30 metres with the highest magnification can give a good idea of the optical quality in minutes.
The tiny sun image is an artificial star.

Ideally having an excellent comparison scope and just reading a distant newspaper will show if the used scope is a lemon.

Regards,
B.

Or a led flashlight covered by aluminum foil with a tiny pinhole (foil on glass table and apply not a lot of force) at 30m or so makes an excellent artificial star. then star test as usual

Joachim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back