• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens for portrait (1 Viewer)

Cristian Mihai

Cristian Mihai
I'm not very familiar with portrait lenses for Canon and a friend photographer needs such a lens for his 5D Mk2. His option would be a zoom (about 50 mm in the middle of the zoom range) with maximum aperture f2.8 at the long end. Any ideas?
Thank you for help.

Fixed focal length fast lenses would be a better and more economical choice for a true portrait lens, as fast zooms are considerable more expensive or not even available.
A 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 would be a good start on a crop body, or a 80ish 1.x on a full frame. Both kind lenses are available from the original and third party manufacturers (i.e. Sigma).

The alternative is that you can get away with a narrower aperture if using something like a plain Lastolite (roll of paper) backdrop. However the additional lighting and the space needed will probably convince him to spend more on the lens!
A focal length of about double the diagonal of the image (sensor) is the classical focal length for portraiture bearing in mind all the different size sensors that are appearing in interchangeable lens cameras, this ties in with seaspirits reply.

Last edited:
A few more words. He is not interested in a third party lens - it has to be Canon - for example Canon 24-70 f2.8 USM. There are other similar options?

Last edited:
i have a studio and use to have a 50f1.4 and 85 f1.8 but then i got a 24/105 although not f2.8 -f4 its my fist choice everytime .
Rob

A few more words. He is not interested in a third party lens - it has to be Canon - for example Canon 24-70 f2.8 USM. There are other similar options?

The 24-70 f2.8 is the lens of choice as a short portrait zoom - it is significantly better than the 24-105 in my experience and I would not hesitate in recommending it. If it's within the budget then go for it, you won't find a better option for what he wants.

Well, on my 1D with a 1.3x I find the 70-200 L to be my favorite "walk around" portrait lens. 80mm is known as the classic length, but I find that to be a starting point for me, even for group shots. You require more space to shoot long, but I like to do portrait work outdoors. That said, every photog has a preferred FL based on experiences. If your friend wants 50mm in the middle, and wants 2.8, and wants Canon...it has to be the 24-70 2.8 L.

Hi to throw a spanner in the works, the macro 100mm 2.8 is usm is excellent.and doubles for any macro work as well. Mike

There is only the one version of the 24-70, before that it was a 28-70 f2.8 (nothing wrong with one of those if you can pick one up in good nick)
Out of interest Cristian what style of portraiture is your friend interested in? Studio or lifestyle work, babies, kids or adults. If the focus is on one genre it could affect the answer but I'd take the 24-70 any day over primes for general portraiture. in fact I do.
BUT I have a 70-200 on my other body.

Sounds to me like your friend already knows he wants the 24-70, it's the only lens that fits all the requirements. Personally I use 50mm 1.8 (gotta love a nifty fifty) or 100 2.8 for my portraits (depending on space) and you would be hard pressed to beat them (especially for the money).

There is only the one version of the 24-70, before that it was a 28-70 f2.8 (nothing wrong with one of those if you can pick one up in good nick)
Out of interest Cristian what style of portraiture is your friend interested in? Studio or lifestyle work, babies, kids or adults. If the focus is on one genre it could affect the answer but I'd take the 24-70 any day over primes for general portraiture. in fact I do.
BUT I have a 70-200 on my other body.

Hi Paul,

He needs this lens for his job (fashion photography, portraits for published interviews and so one). He already has some acceptable quality lenses, but there are always some ostentatious customers... Here is his site: http://www.brandcover.ro/

Hi Paul,

He needs this lens for his job (fashion photography, portraits for published interviews and so one). He already has some acceptable quality lenses, but there are always some ostentatious customers... Here is his site: http://www.brandcover.ro/

Right, that changes things a bit. The 24-70 is still going to be a good lens to get but fashion means something longer will be needed as well. either 70-200 f2.8 or 135mm f2, or for outdoor work if the pace of work is slow enough to live with the sedate af speed an 85mm f1.2. They'd be my suggestions, I don't know much about the macro lenses, horses for courses and all that.

Thank you for your reply seaspirit. He wants a zoom lens (we know that this is an expensive option).

Classic zoom for portraits would be 70-200f2.8L. This lens covers all the classicic portrait ranges, with flexibility at the long end, more compression can be achieved. It also happens to be one of the sharpest lenses in the Canon range.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back