• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens to get the shot (1 Viewer)

timp55

Going to be re-visiting a favoutire holiday destination in the new year and fully expect to get to see some osprey on a nest, maybe with young, maybe not but fairly close, certainly waay closer than I've ever got here in the UK, plus it's in good light. Got some half decent shots before, using 40D + 100-400L but felt it was a bit short. What do I do next? I'm thinking 300L 2.8 + 2xTC but thats a lot of money and extra weight to lug through airports. For a hell of a lot less I could get something like an Olympus E520 with 70-300 (600mm effective, <£600). I'd take that and the 40D etc just for some good osprey shots.
I'd love the 500 F4 IS (+ 1.4TC) but can't face that and the 100-400 on the trip.
Any other suggestions?

Just re-read my post and realised what I'd missed - I'd forgotten the 1.6 crop factor of the Canon. Still I guess my overall question still stands, although the Olly is not going to be the way to go is it.
Is Kerso still the man for Canon glass?

If you are only wanting the lens for this trip then perhaps you could look into hiring a lens for the holiday. Either a 300 f2.8 or the even lighter 400 f4 DO... if buying then a Sigma 300 f2.8 would be much cheaper than a Canon, I think there are a couple up for sale in the classifieds on here at the moment.

Digiscoping not really an option for 2 reasons - no plan to take scope (no room in luggage, not many real opportunities to use it otherwise) and secondly, I've not got a working digiscoping setup. OK, plenty of time to sort out but lack of space and opportunity kinda rules it out.

Thanks NK - bit out of my league (for rental) assuming it's pro-rata and 3 weeks works out at around £600. Admittedly it's still a fraction of the cost of a new 500 F4 or 300 F28 but it still sounds like a heck of a lot of money. Set me thinking what I would pay and I kinda feel that 250 would be my limit. Then there's the feeling that if I fell in love with the lens I'd buy one anyway and that rental money would be then feel wasted.
So, still needing to think of a solution.

Oneshotdigital seem to have the 300/2.8/IS for what looks like 3100 - OK, it's from HK but they claim to pay any VAT / import duty - is this a good price? are they reputable? anyone any experiences?

Oneshotdigital seem to have the 300/2.8/IS for what looks like 3100 - OK, it's from HK but they claim to pay any VAT / import duty - is this a good price? are they reputable? anyone any experiences?

I have bought from them, theres no problems there

Thanks - good to know - I'll seriously consider buying now. Trouble is I'm tempted to check out their 500F4 IS too.
Anybody bought either from Kerso recently and know his prices?

I am surprised no one else has said that photographing birds at the nest can cause disturbance and extra care must be taken to ensure that you don't upset the birds.

You probably know that already, but it never hurts to say it again.

Plus birds at the nest shots are not really en vogue anymore.

Still, look forward to your shots and hearing what you finally choose.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back