• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesson's Lesbia (1833) (1 Viewer)

cwbirder

United States
Hello all! I'm wondering about the etymology of Lesson's Lesbia, which today contains two species, per the IOC list. [GBIF notes] that this name was published in 1833 and cites the publication as "Trochil., Ind. gén., xvii." I'm assuming that "xvii" here is referring to the page number of the OD. However, I can't seem to find any similar publication by Lesson in 1833 anywhere that summarizes his works. But, when I went through all of his publications that are on BHL, [this one here], which is listed as potentially being published in 1832, does have that genus name on the correct page, so perhaps this is the OD? The title could potentially be shortened to the GBIF abbreviation too, I guess.

Anyway, I was digging into this because I was curious whether these hummingbirds were named as lesbian hummingbirds, which, I think, would be pretty interesting, especially in 1833. If the above BHL link is the OD, it doesn't look like Lesson mentions anything about this etymology in his description (which is only about the beak and tail). However, he does title this group "les saphos", which I thought was an interesting title when looked at together with the genus name. I can't find such a word in the Dictionnaire de l'Académie Française to see what Lesson meant by "les saphos". I also checked both Latin and Greek dictionaries to see if I could find any meaning there (in case he was bringing a Latin or Greek word into French in his publication), and I didn't find anything. However, in both English and French, allusions to the poet Sappho (of Lesbos) are where we get the word "lesbian" from. And, for what it's worth, "lesbienne" seems to have been a word in French by the 1700s with the same meaning as we use today in English for "lesbian" (ie, woman who loves other women) (though that sense wasn't recorded in English until the 1730s). So, I imagine that Lesson was probably aware of lesbians as existing and probably also the relationship between the Greek poet and the word (I wouldn't be surprised, given his occupation and when he lived, if he even knew at least some Greek).

So, anyway, I guess my question is, what are people's thoughts on the etymology of the genus Lesbia here? Did Lesson name these birds for lesbians? Or is there some other meaning I'm missing here? My knowledge of French is pretty tenuous at best and this is 1800s French, so I'm a bit out of my depth in that regard. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I don't think this is anything to do with sexuality but entirely to do with classics and mythology. In Lesson's classification system each Latin scientific name has a Greek/ mythological counterpart. i.e. Polyphemus = Ornismya, Staphos = Lesbia and Clémence = Coeligena.

Thus Lesbia is merely an allusion to Sappho's home island and Sappho and the people of her island were historical beauties - it's as innocent as that.

Last edited:
I wondered if there was something to do with Lesbia and the common name trainbearers but I cannot find one. The earliast use of trainbearers of Bogata is 1900. Lesson started this with naming a hummingbird after the poetess. Ornismya Sapho in 1828.
Manuel d'ornithologie, ou description des genres et des principales espèces d'orseaux - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Then Lesson put this species in a new genus Lesbia in 1832.
Les trochilidées - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
http://wwwwwwwww.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/Genera/L/l00281a.jpg .
Gould joined the fun with naming a related species phaon in 1847.
pt.12-15 (1844-1847) - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Lesbia refers to the birth place of Sappho and Phaon was a ferryman Sappho loved and jumped of a cliff because of her love?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back