• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos Bargain birding (1 Viewer)

Mikejenk

In case anyone is interested, First choice have a S/C apartment (Marianna ) in Skala Kalloni for 2 weeks from 13th May for just £454 ( total for two people ). Just do a holiday search on their website.

I would have snatched this up myself but have already booked Bulgaria for this spring. This price is by far the cheapest I've seen for anything in Kalloni this year. It would be wasted on a non-birder which is why I've posted.

My very favourite birding spot but like you I have already booked my spring holiday. I wish I had seen this advert a month ago, I would have snatched their hand off.

Too late for me too - being stuck with school holidays I'm of to Kalloni at the end of May - too late for the passage but still with the prospect of some good birds!

Someone snap this up!!

13th May is usually too late for most of the migration, still some good birds though, that's probably why it is so cheap. Nice place for a holiday though!

I've never been but the concept of seeing such a variety of stunning birds in close proximity to where you are staying realy appeals to me.

My other half doesn't enjoy road trips into the back of beyond so I try to stay at resorts with birds on the doorstep. That way, I get a lot of my birding done before she wakes up. We stayed at Porto Pollensa last year and Paphos the year before.

We're booked for Lesvos in the summer for a family holiday but even then there are still lots of good birds about.
If anyone can manage a 2 week holiday in May SNAP THIS ONE UP!!! Expect Black-headed,Cinereous, Cretzschmars & Cirl bunting; Lesser Grey, Woodchat, Masked & Red-backed Shrike; Middle-Spotted Woodpecker; Hoopoe, Bee eater, Short toed Eagle, Lesser Kestrel, Long-legged Buzzard, Lanner & Peregrine; White & Black Stork & various summer plumage northbound waders. Rose-coloured Starling passage is also occurring at this time & other goodies such as Alpine Swift, Crag Martin, Rock(Western) Nuthatch & Rufous Bushchat are also easy whilst Kruper's Nuthatch is also about although a little harder to tie down. Many others could be added to this list & the birding around Skala Kalloni is so easy. So if you have time to spare in May & a willing spouse -> go for it! ;)

I agree - we went 10 years ago in early June and still had great birding, most of the birds you listed and more.

What I would be interested in is details of sightings of White-throated Robin. I believe that there have been twitchable migrants recently but rumours exist of breeding on the island?

Having missed the bird in Turkey I would love to add W-t Robin to my Lesbos list!

Hi Rob,
I believe they bred in 2001/2002 at least but not sure about last year. I think there is a "regular" site in the west of the island but the exact locality seems to be known by only a few Greek birders. A bird was singing in the upper East river valley above the main road bridge & a male was singing by a small sheep enclosure just below Ipsilou monastery -many people saw the latter (but sadly not me!!) -can't remember if it was 2001 or 2002 however. They may have a toe-hold but I suspect insider knowledge would be needed to find them.

Hello Rob and Steve,

For what it's worth last year 2003 I visited Lesbos for the third time, starting from 20/05 for to weeks.
During that time I was mobile for 7days and when I took the road from Sikaminia (not skala Sikaminia) to Argenos> Vafios.
I took a site drive to Lepetimnos just before Argenos going down to the seaside (direction left)
On that very small steep road towards the sea I saw what I think was female W-t Robin with food in the beak!
Not 100% certain I went out looking for the bird but no result :(
Anyway I'll go back this year and will visit that area again.
If u or somebody passes that area look out for it :)

regards Raymond

June in Lesbos?

Hello,

I'm considering taking my partner on a surprise birthday birdwatching trip to Lesbos in early June 2004. I was wondering if anyone on this forum could give me some information about whether this is a good time to go and what birds would be likely. My partner is a very keen birdwatcher but unfortunately I am not as knowledgeable as him about birds and cannot ask him any questions as it would spoil the surprise! I know he is keen to see Eleanora's Falcon in particular, and he has also never been to the eastern Meditarranean before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nicky Sey

Nicky Sey said:
Hello,

I'm considering taking my partner on a surprise birthday birdwatching trip to Lesbos in early June 2004. I was wondering if anyone on this forum could give me some information about whether this is a good time to go and what birds would be likely. My partner is a very keen birdwatcher but unfortunately I am not as knowledgeable as him about birds and cannot ask him any questions as it would spoil the surprise! I know he is keen to see Eleanora's Falcon in particular, and he has also never been to the eastern Meditarranean before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nicky Sey
Hi Nicky & welcome to Birdforums.
The best & traditional time to visit Lesvos for birds is in the spring. However, there are many good birds present throughout the summer which include the Lesvos specialities such as Masked Shrike, Yellow-headed & Cinereous Bunting, Kruper's Nuthatch(can be hard to find) & many other good birds including Lesser Kestrel, Eleonora's Falcon, Short-toed Eagle, Black Storks & White Stork. In early June you should be able to catch the tail end of the wader passage, the Rose-coloured Starling passage & the odd late LIttle Bittern, Squacco heron, etc.
I would strongly suggest that you stay somewhere in the area of Skala Kalloni as it the best & most central area for the best birding sites. Send me a PM if you need further details. Our family summer holiday is booked for Lesvos this year(early july). Last August I had 101 species not bad for the quiet time of year!
Best wishes,
Steve

Hi Nicky and a warm welcome from the Moderators and Admin.
I see you have already got some detailed advice from Steve and a try on the Search function of the site will probably produce some more.

Steve G said:
Hi Nicky & welcome to Birdforums.
The best & traditional time to visit Lesvos for birds is in the spring. However, there are many good birds present throughout the summer which include the Lesvos specialities such as Masked Shrike, Yellow-headed & Cinereous Bunting, Kruper's Nuthatch(can be hard to find) & many other good birds including Lesser Kestrel, Eleonora's Falcon, Short-toed Eagle, Black Storks & White Stork. In early June you should be able to catch the tail end of the wader passage, the Rose-coloured Starling passage & the odd late LIttle Bittern, Squacco heron, etc.
Steve

Black-headed Bunting I presume.

Steve

Nicky,

I can only endorse the comments above.

You could do worse than get hold of a copy of Richard Brooks' excellent guide to the island, full of maps and directions, what to look for and where.

If you end up there during the first two weeks of June look out for me (overweight but over there), my patient wife Dette and our 8 year old son Luke who will be searching every nook and cranny for lizards and snakes! We are based in Skala Kalloni and will be doing the usual sites by day and cold beers by night!

Rob,
Make sure you do the Potamia valley in June. You can drive all the way up & out the top of the valley. Two-thirds of the way up the Potamia river forks -just below this there is cool running water with year round pools which hold fish, Marsh frogs & bizarre freshwater crabs (not Crayfish) which feed off algae; a great place for a picnic. This area pulls in Black Storks, whilst the surrounding area holds breeding Bonelli's warbler. Overhead raptors include Short-toed Eagle & Long-legged Buzzard whilst Golden Eagle are also occasionally seen. Hope it all goes well.
Steve

Just back - and picnic'd at the river as suggested. No sign of the freshwater crabs but we all had great fun in the river and pools - forgot to look out for the birds!

The valley had changed from my last visit - but still held good birds and a very healthy population of Woodlark.

I'll get round to a full report sometime - highlights were Rose-coloured Starling, Cinerous Bunting and Goshawk.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back