• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lesvos next week (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight said:
Did manage to drive up the east river, part of the bank had fallen away
Tony

Hardly surprising given the amount of birder traffic up and down there these days.

I can't understand why birders drive up to this spot, it's a great walk and the amount of stuff that must get missed by driving. When I was there some 11 years ago most of my birding was done here and only once did I see a car on there - and that was frowned upon.

Deja-vu said:
Hardly surprising given the amount of birder traffic up and down there these days.

I can't understand why birders drive up to this spot, it's a great walk and the amount of stuff that must get missed by driving. When I was there some 11 years ago most of my birding was done here and only once did I see a car on there - and that was frowned upon.

As you'll see above i was sceptical about birding from the car but it makes perfect sense here as in 45 mins you can cover a hell of a lot of ground and get a lot closer to the birds as the car truly acts as a hide. I got within 20 feet of a number of species that would have not stayed there had i been on foot. The window tripod mount is probably the best value for money purchase i have ever made. i actually found it frustrating when someone approached on foot as they invariably scared off whatever i was watching !! Having said that, it is also a lovely walk and must be frustrating to have to let cars pass by.

The track looks to have been eroded by the water at the edges rather than volume of traffic. similarly the erosion at Potamia valley - presumably the rivers swelled during a wet winter ??

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back