• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leucistic (albino?) bird from Queen Elizabeth National Park (1 Viewer)

adamt123

Hi everyone,

I'm guessing the bird in question is leucistic not albino because the bill is blackish-grey - honesty have never seen either before so not sure.

As for an ID, when I first saw it I thought some sort of flycatcher and I suppose that is what I still think it is. Though I understand it may well be impossible to get species level id, any ideas are appreciated. Photos were taken from quite a distance and I appreciate this makes deciphering any key details all the more difficult.

The sighting is from Bush Lodge, Queen Elizabeth NP (Uganda), June 2021. The area was like a swamp (not sure if it helps, but I've attached a photo) with lots of birds but we didn't see any other species that looked similar to the bird in question.

thanks!

fullsizeoutput_64bf.jpeg fullsizeoutput_64be.jpeg fullsizeoutput_64bb.jpeg fullsizeoutput_64bd.jpeg fullsizeoutput_64c0.jpeg

I think you're right with Flycatcher, maybe White-eyed Slaty?

I'd also say that it's probably is a genuine albino as it has pink legs?

Last edited:
thanks both for your comments. the plump shape is indeed reminiscent of white-eyed slaty and those legs do look rather pink - nice to know that it could well be a genuine albino. a cool sighting though, whatever it is :)

I have the impression (plus one acquaintanceship) that human albinos have (always / usually / sometimes) very poor eyesight. Is this also true of birds and other albino animals? (We saw a white, possibly albino, Springbok in Namibia a few years ago, and have always wondered if there were physical reasons other than just 'looking different' which might make them less likely to survive to a ripe old age.)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back