• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold VS Swarovski (1 Viewer)

God! Why did you bring that thread back from the grave!;) Those Leupold GR 8x32's are good binoculars but they are just a little heavy for an 8x32. But lately I have been using a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56 and a Vortex Razor UHD 18x56 so I guess the GR would feel light compared to those! I am getting like you Andy in that I like big aperture binoculars.

That post has some really good discussion and humor, I learned a few things and got a few laughs out of it.
Regarding the large apertures, I am with the 10X56 FL, an excellent glass in many viewing scenarios, such as tonight with a bright full moon, no ghosting or veiling glare.

Andy W.

Those big aperture binoculars are nice on the moon. The Vortex Razor UHD 18x56 really shows the craters and lunar landscape in detail for a binocular. It is almost like a small apochromatic telescope. It is kind of a long looking binocular but probably not much longer than your big Zeiss. I think it is the way the tubes are tapered and then kind of flare out. It looks like two telescopes put together. It is a really powerful binocular. When I look back on my old posts I can't believe how caustic and rude I was at times. I hope I have mellowed out a little now.

Last edited:
The Leupold Gold Ring binoculars are superb. The biggest single optics mistake I ever made is selling my prime example in 8x42 to aid in buying a Swarovski EL SV. The only people who ever complained about the weight were people who never owned and used one. Very little time passes by without me regretting selling it.

This old review from Better View Desired is spot on the money.

https://www.cloudynights.com/BVD/Leupold-Golden-Ring-8x42.php

Last edited:
When I look back on my old posts I can't believe how caustic and rude I was at times. I hope I have mellowed out a little now.
Amen to that, Brother Dennis! I've always had a problem wrestling at night with horrible things I've said to former girlfriends, etc., but when I think at 3am of nasty things I've said on BF, well, it's just insomnia till dawn!;)

Fascinating thread on both bino origins and the aggravations of forum dialogue... must have been in progress when I joined but didn't notice it.

Intricacies of manufacture vs assembly... I didn't know Meoptas once said "Assembled in USA". The eternal back and forth about binos at half the alpha price being just as good or close enough, and the stakes for some either way. The allure of a bino others rave about, and how it can fade. The risk of criticizing someone else's favorite bino. The attempt to dismiss an argument as a matter of simple fact about which (anyone else's) argument is a waste of time. Attempts to support or attack arguments by ad hominem judgment. Suspicion of motives. "No one likes to be told that they don't see what they see"... but was that really so?

So Andy, why did you bring this up again? Hardly still seems relevant. ;)

Last edited:
Tenex, it was brought up as a discussion about the Golden ring, and it may have been relevant to others.

Steve, you are correct about about the review of the Golden Ring on the Better View desired.

Andy W.

Fascinating thread on both bino origins and the aggravations of forum dialogue... must have been in progress when I joined but didn't notice it.

Intricacies of manufacture vs assembly... I didn't know Meoptas once said "Assembled in USA". The eternal back and forth about binos at half the alpha price being just as good or close enough, and the stakes for some either way. The allure of a bino others rave about, and how it can fade. The risk of criticizing someone else's favorite bino. The attempt to dismiss an argument as a matter of simple fact about which (anyone else's) argument is a waste of time. Attempts to support or attack arguments by ad hominem judgment. Suspicion of motives. "No one likes to be told that they don't see what they see"... but was that really so?

So Andy, why did you bring this up again? Hardly still seems relevant. ;)

Perhaps a quote from that beloved optical genius, Yogi Berra, would be appropriate: Its deja vu all over again!

Last edited:
It did go over my head, lots of hours lately Tenex, Lee, Wdc.

Yes Lee, it would have been fun reading Brock and Rico70 debate, that would have been one for the archives.

Andy W.

Send Brock a PM, and see if he would like to add to the discussion. He was right about lots of things.

One was the Swarovski focusers. He found that out when I sent him my EL for trial. ;) That one was very difficult and sticky, even when just back from the service center.

Jerry

PS: Brocks forum name on here is Brocknroller

Last edited:
Brilliant thread. Does denco still get hard...I mean "feel good" when a bystander recognizes his binos are Swaros (post #264)? Is it still possible to find Vanguards and Primes that outmatch FLs and SVs in sharpness and effective resolution (post #163)? And has anyone else here ever looked through the Baywatch Telescope? :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back