• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Licencing of upland grouse moors and gamekeepers e-petition (1 Viewer)

I have signed already and I do hope it draws more support in due course.

It would,of course, get very significant support if RSPB properly threw their weight behind it and actively encouraged members to sign; but I very much doubt they will. It is very frustrating as it looks as if another breeding season will go by with no successful HH breeding activity in England - I hope I'm wrong!

Tony

Signed. A sensible proposal that will ensure estates that remain within the law will have documented proof they are not involved in persecution and gamekeepers will have legal recognition of their skills. Can't see why anyone could complain. If you've done nothing wrong then you've nothing to worry about. (Been waiting for years to throw that back at someone ;) )

Chris

Hi Chris ( Butterworth ). when I first registered the Epetition I considered what I would say to the undoubted criticism that would occur. That was the line I decided to take!! Strangely enough I've not had many questions which suggests the logic of the issue has even registered with those normally responsible for such mindless actions. John.

Last edited:
Thanks for this Chris ( Hallam ). 5208 signatures this morning, so creeping up, and I've still a few promotional aspects to pursue. Seems the trick is to get people to share around their Address Books etc and continually reach a wider audience.
Again, thanks for your support.
John.

Epetition and thinking behind it!

Please consider signing if you haven't already done. :t:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46473

Thanks to everyone for signing this and please promote it as widely as you can. I've just put out a piece on my Blog (http://www.birdingodyssey.blogspot.com/
that attempts to pin down the real underlying causes of such persecution. In my opinion, it's a problem that will demand an attempt to change Establishment attitudes and control and force the current Government into a position of regulating "its own". Big ask!! If they can ignore Brian May's Badger petition , currently with 250,000 signatures, we need to up the ante on this one!!

John.

If they can ignore Brian May's Badger petition , currently with 250,000 signatures, we need to up the ante on this one!!

Signed ...but do wonder the value of such petitions, especially if total number of signatures remains relatively low. How many e-petitions does the government receive every week?

Even if it exceeds the 100,000 mark to allow consideration by the Commons, it seems it also needs a MP taking up the case to argue reason for debate.

Last edited:
Hi Jos. First of all, thanks for signing. I don't think getting an MP to "front up" the issue will be a problem. I do agree that, even with a total number of signatures exceeding 100,000, the matter is not high and dry and legislation needs to be gotten through the due processes. Whatever the outcome, the signature total can be used time and again to confront the Government when raising the issue and, of course, we've got the absolute act of potential censure arising in 2015 that they need to remind themselves about!! john.

Hi Jos. First of all, thanks for signing. I don't think getting an MP to "front up" the issue will be a problem. I do agree that, even with a total number of signatures exceeding 100,000, the matter is not high and dry and legislation needs to be gotten through the due processes. Whatever the outcome, the signature total can be used time and again to confront the Government when raising the issue and, of course, we've got the absolute act of potential censure arising in 2015 that they need to remind themselves about!! john.

Good luck in the campaign, certainly needs a change on the current state of affairs, so hope the petition helps.

Signed. Like Jos I'm sometimes wonder about the impact of petitions, but a petition is a damn sight better than no petition at all. Whilst I may be a little cynical about the impact of individual petitions, I rather suspect that, collectively, petitions about broadly similar topics at least act as a brake to the more outrageous plans of this government. It will at least make them think more carefully about such issues.

Signed. Like Jos I'm sometimes wonder about the impact of petitions, but a petition is a damn sight better than no petition at all. Whilst I may be a little cynical about the impact of individual petitions, I rather suspect that, collectively, petitions about broadly similar topics at least act as a brake to the more outrageous plans of this government. It will at least make them think more carefully about such issues.

A street protest +/- riot would focus the Goverment's view on the topic.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back