• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light-vented Bulbul (1 Viewer)

Today I saw two light-vented bulbuls perch in a tree. One of them turned to the other one, sort of hunched down a bit, and vibrated its wings at the other one, which flew away. I haven't seen this behaviour before and assumed it was a dominance display or something, is that true?

I've seen similar behaviour in other species. AFAIK it's begging for food, which can mean it's either a youngster or it's a female "ritually" showing this behaviour as part of courtship.

I've seen similar behaviour in other species. AFAIK it's begging for food, which can mean it's either a youngster or it's a female "ritually" showing this behaviour as part of courtship.

I would be very surprised if any chicks have hatched yet this year. Never mind fledged ! That's certainly the case for the large numbers that reside in my garden / housing compound :)

It's very typical fledgling behaviour so I agree with Sangahyando that it's highly likely to be a female and even possibly courtship behaviour.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back