• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lighter weight 7x42's? (1 Viewer)

Well, that didn't take long! I stopped actively trying to decide on one, but one came looking for me on a saved Search on Ebay, and bingo, they're mine now! I actually did find a used Zeiss FL 7x42 in 99% condition (only flaw-brown rings around the objectives from the rubber covers). Thank you all for your help!

I love them! It didn't take me long to know they were what I wanted-they met everything I hoped for, and probably more. Can't wait to try them in the woods this year too-thanks to Chuck for that tip on 7x42's. I had them out yesterday for the first time (only got them 2 days ago), everything I saw looked great through them, and the form and function as well-ergonomic and ease of focus, etc, all good. The ONLY thing I can be picky about is the armor, which feels a little slippery in hand, though no doubt they are easier to clean than the ones that are more rubber like in composition. I'm over it already, as the ergonomics are good for my hands and they won't stess my hands/wrists like some heavier ones might have! ; ) The straps are on, and they are here to stay!

Thanks all!

Hey Barry!

Great find! You're gonna love 'em when you actually go birding with them. I've bought 3 FLs on the used market, all have been perfect. I can't tell they have even been used. The FL may very well be the best "used" binocular out there.

You'll probably never "need" another 7X binocular as you now have one of the very best!

Hey Barry!

Great find! You're gonna love 'em when you actually go birding with them. I've bought 3 FLs on the used market, all have been perfect. I can't tell they have even been used. The FL may very well be the best "used" binocular out there.

You'll probably never "need" another 7X binocular as you now have one of the very best!

And it will be "light weight" too with its high tech plastic construction!:king:

26.1027 ounces.

https://www.allbinos.com/74-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_7x42_T*_FL-binoculars_specifications.html

3 excellent reviews of it too!

Bob

I sold my 7x42 FL but it, along with the 8.5x Genesis, were just about perfect (sold solely for financial reasons/difficulty justifying owning such an expensive optic).

I wish Leupold still made their 7x42 Hawthorne, which I rather liked when I tried it in store.

And it will be "light weight" too with its high tech plastic construction! :king:

26.1027 ounces.

Yep, Zeiss really should go (back) to plastic construction for their next alpha! Modern, lightweight and the FLs have paved the way for plastic bodies to be accepted by high-end binocular buyers. ;)

Specifically what is it a composite of?, beyond the definition of plastic. I have been very impressed with the TF Ls in 8X 32 and 42. They are very light compared to many others in their perspective formats. Everything from the eye cups to the objective covers a indicate a very thought out ergonomic package.

Andy W.

Yep, if the Zeiss FL composite body saves me 6 oz over the others, I am there with it, and no regrets! There are always leather or even rubber stippled gloves if you want to add some traction for dry weather. I think in warm weather here in the East, it won't be a problem. My hands have been dry lately here, still in Winter mode, so they felt a little slippery to my hands.

Though what they deliver is something not to be missed if possible, so I will happily slide a little in dry hand conditions until it's more humid!

Specifically what is it a composite of?, beyond the definition of plastic. I have been very impressed with the TF Ls in 8X 32 and 42. They are very light compared to many others in their perspective formats. Everything from the eye cups to the objective covers a indicate a very thought out ergonomic package.

Andy W.

Yes, seems to be more plastic than rubber, for sure. Composite I think is their designation. I don't really care for what they deliver-I can live with it just fine!

Yep, if the Zeiss FL composite body saves me 6 oz over the others, I am there with it, and no regrets! ...............

.........., so I will happily slide a little in dry hand conditions until it's more humid!

I am with you Barry. The use of a composite body seems to be more of a perception problem than any real problems and there are benefits, such as weight. I have other brands with non metal bodies without any issues.

Per the National Weather Service, the humidity in Phoenix yesterday afternoon was 5%. I am used to it so it has not caused me any problems but now I have one more thing to think about!

Wow, 5% humidity! That's not even in my vocabulary, being from the East! I can't imagine it either! I'd probably be puckered up like a prune! ; )

Yep, Zeiss really should go (back) to plastic construction for their next alpha! Modern, lightweight and the FLs have paved the way for plastic bodies to be accepted by high-end binocular buyers. ;)

If you picked one of them up and didn't know better you would never be able to tell that it was made without a metal frame.:t:

Bob

Andy W.

"Polyamide and reinforced fiberglass covered by high quality rubber." Waterproof to a depth of 4 meters.

https://www.allbinos.com/177-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_8x56_T*_FL.html

Bob

All I can say about the Zeiss FL's durability is that if you are doing something to break it's polycarbonate body, you are doing something very, very wrong.

I have a pair of 8x42 FLs and I have never encountered a problem (in fact or perceived) in relation to the material they are made of. I have used polycarbonate camera bodies for years and again, never had any problems. I would much rather have a lighter instrument and be able to use it for lengthy periods than a heavy instrument with its perceived "build quality" advantage but be unable it carry it or hold it for very long.

Thanks Bob, must remember Allbinos for their info, could do with more updated reviews.

With the success of the FL I wonder why other manufacturers do not make premier glass with the material, would it not be more economical than magnesium?. Agreed with JRs statements, some tough material.

Andy W.

Just remember, some guns, such as the Benelli Nova shotgun, are made or at least reinforced with polycarbonate bodies. If this material can handle the force of a shotgun blast and everything people put their guns through, I think it can hold up to the use of your average birder.

I've owned both the 7x42 and 8x32s and abused them with no signs of wear, damage, or abuse.

I wonder how the SF and HT (rumors of it being archived) will hold up over time, IMO not as well built as the FL series, time will tell. Though to some long in the teeth, I really like the 8X32 and 8X42 and are keepers for me, they also represent a significant point in design history of binoculars, much like the HG/LX which I still use, primarily the 8X32.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back