• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Idea- Birdforum convention? (2 Viewers)

maplekong

Well Known For Being Inexperienced Member
England
I've been on this great forum many times, and thought about this. It's so large, has experienced members people from all over the world... you know what would be great? A birdforum convention. It's a little silly that I'm thinking about this when I know I can't go if there is one, but wouldn't it be great- like one every year, in a different city, with speeches and reports being shared, photos being displayed, and where people mill around or go on guided tours in the local area... latest discoveries, inviting guests, and where conservationists can get together...

I know that these are big ideas, and are literally probably never going to happen, but I just want to post this somewhere. Maybe in twenty years time there might be one....

I've met quite a few BF members 'in real life' - most of whom seemed to be pleasant enough people. However, there are some BF members around that I'd gladly NEVER share a city with, let alone a venue within any particular city. Naming no names....(and I'm pretty sure most regulars would have a similar list of people they'd prefer to never ever meet too). ;)

If you visit the 'Members' section and look under the subforums tab there is an apparently little used section (post-lockdown) for member's meet-ups etc that if you ever feel like organising something - even just locally to you, would probably be the best place to start.

I believe there used to be meet-ups. I might even have been on one in Kent back in the day ...
However, there are some BF members around that I'd gladly NEVER share a city with, let alone a venue within any particular city. Naming no names....(and I'm pretty sure most regulars would have a similar list of people they'd prefer to never ever meet too). ;)

You say that, but sometimes I wonder whether there would be less strife in a real world meet up. Like, if it was just an ordinary birding session none of the keyboard warrior crappiness (or whatever else it is that are issues) would come up. Divides and differences get exacerbated, in the real world I imagine that eg America gets along and the employees at the local Wendy's or Walmart don't form two cliques constantly at war with each other (or I could be wrong ;-) ).

You say that, but sometimes I wonder whether there would be less strife in a real world meet up. Like, if it was just an ordinary birding session none of the keyboard warrior crappiness (or whatever else it is that are issues) would come up. Divides and differences get exacerbated, in the real world I imagine that eg America gets along and the employees at the local Wendy's or Walmart don't form two cliques constantly at war with each other (or I could be wrong ;-) ).
It can certainly be like that, but I've also been on trips, or in hides where particular individuals have created an atmosphere that spoilt the day (despite the birds seen).

Certainly a few I'd like to meet although, not all use real world names so how would you know.

I just had a BF member stay overnight here in Cyprus but as previously stated, some I wouldn't want to share even a country with. Cheering for Cyprus in the football tonight btw though I expect the away team to prevail for a change.

Last edited:
Certainly a few I'd like to meet although, not all use real world names so how would you know.

I just had a BF member stay overnight here in Cyprus but as previously stated, some I wouldn't want to share even a country with. Cheering for Cyprus in the football tonight btw though I expect the away team to prevail for a change.
Would love to see " the Smellies " get beat...... its an old English / Jock thing. Used to see a few BF members years ago at Birdfair, always slightly puzzling cause many weren't how you envisaged them to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back