• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys (2 Viewers)

Light covering of snow here in Nethybridge this morning though fewer snow showers than yesterday. Still blustery and cold!

Do they think it's a male or female Pine Marten in the nest. If the later she should just be having kits at this time of year, which could be interesting. They have been recorded sharing Eagle nests in the Highlands when birds present and actively breeding!

Do they think it's a male or female Pine Marten in the nest. If the later she should just be having kits at this time of year, which could be interesting. They have been recorded sharing Eagle nests in the Highlands when birds present and actively breeding!

I do not think EJ would be too happy with a pine marten around. Her first nest in 2001 was robbed by pine martens as far as I know.

Garten had a family showing a few years ago by the Osprey centre (I missed them by a few days but they were there for weeks) so there may be an alternative in the roofspace or something: I guess the Pine Marten will know.

John

Garten had a family showing a few years ago by the Osprey centre (I missed them by a few days but they were there for weeks) so there may be an alternative in the roofspace or something: I guess the Pine Marten will know.

John

Yes, think they were under the floor, a young one popped up the tree trunk just inside the entrance one afternoon when I was there!

John

A pine marten has appeared on the nest at least once for at least the last four years.

Is everyone reading this thread currently aware of the appalling events which are going on at the Strathallan Osprey nest site to ensure the T in the Park concert goes ahead? A fully extended "cherry picker" flying a flag and balloon is currently parked near the old nest to deter the returning birds from landing on it. So far, nothing at all has been done, as apparently there is no law being broken unless a bird actually lands on the nest and is frightened away!! You can follow events here : https://twitter.com/stactiongroup

Last edited:
Is everyone reading this thread currently aware of the appalling events which are going on at the Strathallan Osprey nest site to ensure the T in the Park concert goes ahead? A fully extended "cherry picker" flying a flag and balloon is currently parked near the old nest to deter the returning birds from landing on it. So far, nothing at all has been done, as apparently there is no law being broken unless a bird actually lands on the nest and is frightened away!! You can follow events here : https://twitter.com/stactiongroup

Yes I am aware of this situation. However now that the nest has got so much publicity I think it is best that the ospreys do move otherwise they will be a target for egg thieves everywhere.

Also I do not think it is good for osprey fans to come into conflict with T in the Park fans. That could be very dangerous.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, John.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back