• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Leven hide destroyed by deliberate fire. (2 Viewers)

That's a pity. Question - why build such elaborate hides when you could have several simple ones for less money? Like this one in Melbourne, Australia.
1613814153808.png

That's a pity. Question - why build such elaborate hides when you could have several simple ones for less money? Like this one in Melbourne, Australia.
View attachment 1370421
Well, our weather requires a roof! But up to a point I agree with you. RSPB Titchwell and Rainham, and HWT Blashford Lakes, have made an increasing cock of producing new hides, to the point that some of them are unusable for birding. KISS!

John

I wonder whether this was straightforward vandalism by yobs, or a deliberate act by a disgruntled local who didn't share the opinions of self-congratulatory architects and thought it was an unnecessary excrescence?

Not sure where to put this but I was sad to hear on this.

A popular bird watching spot at Loch Leven has been destroyed in what is believed to be a deliberate fire.
The Mill hide was built in 2011 and had won awards for its architecture and design.
The NatureScot site on the edge of Kinross was gutted by the blaze on Thursday evening.
Reserve manager Neil Mitchell said they are "determined" to replace the hide as as possible
"When I went out to the site this morning I was shocked and saddened to see what has happened to the hide," he said.
"It's been completely destroyed and what's worse is we believe the fire was started deliberately.
"It was a beautiful building that has won several awards, and many visitors will have snapped views from it."
Mr Mitchell said the site had been fenced off for public safety and it was "gutting to see it destroyed".
Ch Insp Graham Binnie, of Police Scotland, said: "Starting fires deliberately is reckless, dangerous and risks lives. In this case, the bird hide has been completely, and unnecessarily, destroyed.
"We are investigating this as a deliberate act and would ask anyone who saw any suspicious behaviour in the area on Thursday evening, or has information to identify those responsible, to report this to us as soon as possible."

I couldn’t believe that when I saw it, such a selfish act if on purpose 🙁

If it was an accident, e.g. with tealights then it was thoughtless and almost as selfish.

Not good at all, and again a few spoiling things for the many!

Yep pricks everywhere. Our hide at Church Norton was boarded up this week due to fire and vandalism on consecutive nights. I suggested putting a trail cam up overlooking the hide to catch the twats but this is the rspb we're talking about here which would involve them getting off their arses and doing something. And then of course dependent on the local police to actually do anything about it.....never gonna happen

Oh no!!! Desperately sad about both these hides.

I've spent many a happy hour in the one at Church Norton over the years when I had family in the area, often walking to it from the visitor centre.

Not the first time at Loch Leven. Burleigh hide was smashed up last year, and torched some years before that.

I was there in the summer, between lock downs, and they seemed to be building another big hide on the north shore.

I've not been for a while, so may have changed, but the ones at Musselburgh Lagoons are made from breeze blocks, I think one may have had a roof.

Then down in Dorset (is it Arne?), I seem to remember old railway wagons being used, didn't hold many people though.

I've not been for a while, so may have changed, but the ones at Musselburgh Lagoons are made from breeze blocks, I think one may have had a roof.

Then down in Dorset (is it Arne?), I seem to remember old railway wagons being used, didn't hold many people though.
Musselburgh Lagoons have concrete viewing areas, and no roofs. Making every visit a meteorological adventure, but normally well worth it.

Musselburgh Lagoons have concrete viewing areas, and no roofs. Making every visit a meteorological adventure, but normally well worth it.
Oh thanks GS... I thought one may have had some corrugated iron across the roof.

Yeah, I've seen some good birds there. Though one of my favourite sightings was a flock of Snow Buntings drinking from a large puddle. When they flew they looked just like a blizzard LOL.

Oh thanks GS... I thought one may have had some corrugated iron across the roof.

Yeah, I've seen some good birds there. Though one of my favourite sightings was a flock of Snow Buntings drinking from a large puddle. When they flew they looked just like a blizzard LOL.
I'd have loved to have seen that!! Being in one of the hides during a thunderstorm was an adventure.....

Its one of my staple, reliable places, although its currently out of bounds. Had some great trips there, when you think of the amount of joggers, cyclists, and general non- birders its even more impressive. The year is yet young, though, so fingers crossed for a return.

It is such a shame and just utter scumbaggery, my local reserve, Fairburn Ings has one of those big, almost container like, metal hides...but it doesn't have the same feeling as a nice wooden one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back