• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loggerhead Turtle - RFI (1 Viewer)

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
Going to Zante soon and just wondered what the position was re. seeing Loggerhead Turtles.

Are the trips any good or do they generally draw blanks?

Are they turtle friendly?

Can better views be obtained from the shore?

Thanks

I did one about 10 years back and we saw at least one. We were quite close to it with boats also on the other side of it and though it's all a bit of a blur now I doubt it was particularly turtle friendly! We must have been within 20m of it (I think I used a standard 'point and shoot' on it) and loggerheads are much smaller than leatherbacks so I doubt views from shore would be as good.

Zante of course is more of a clubbing destination than for seeing wildlife though I seem to remember lots of Scopoli's shears on the boat trip we did and one or two birds of note around the apartments.

J

Going to Zante soon and just wondered what the position was re. seeing Loggerhead Turtles.

Are the trips any good or do they generally draw blanks?

Are they turtle friendly?

Can better views be obtained from the shore?

Thanks

Hi. I actually worked out in zante a few years ago with the charity archelon.

If you are staying in kalamaki or laganas chances are pretty high. The turtle spotting boats used to offer a free return visit if you didnt see one.

In other places around the island sightings arent as common, but trips are easy to arrange.

The bay of laganas is the highest density of loggerhead nesting in the med and all the bay is protected with speed restrictions and other measures regarding the harassment.

We would often snorkel in the bay of laganas and find turtles.

If you are in kalamaki gerkeas or laganas do not expect to go on the beaches at night as it is closed to protect the nesting females, zante turtles are quite sensitive when nesting- trust me ive sat and done the tagging behind them.

Also the back of the beaches are protected due to the nests and the sea daffodils that are in the dunes. Monk seas are occassionally seen in the bay and bigger boats attract dolphins.

Any suspicious behaviour of people please report to the archelon patrol or the beach wardens likewise with any disturbances to nests such as dogs digging nests.

Any more info please shout!

Hi. I actually worked out in zante a few years ago with the charity archelon.

If you are staying in kalamaki or laganas chances are pretty high. The turtle spotting boats used to offer a free return visit if you didnt see one.

In other places around the island sightings arent as common, but trips are easy to arrange.

The bay of laganas is the highest density of loggerhead nesting in the med and all the bay is protected with speed restrictions and other measures regarding the harassment.

We would often snorkel in the bay of laganas and find turtles.

If you are in kalamaki gerkeas or laganas do not expect to go on the beaches at night as it is closed to protect the nesting females, zante turtles are quite sensitive when nesting- trust me ive sat and done the tagging behind them.

Also the back of the beaches are protected due to the nests and the sea daffodils that are in the dunes. Monk seas are occassionally seen in the bay and bigger boats attract dolphins.

Any suspicious behaviour of people please report to the archelon patrol or the beach wardens likewise with any disturbances to nests such as dogs digging nests.

Any more info please shout!

Thanks. Been in touch with archelon and have details of the turtle friendly approved company who use small slow crafts. There are many other operators that do need to be avoided.

Hi Lawts

We stayed in Laganas 15 years ago (twice) and both times we went we hired a Peddlow from the beach at Laganas and saw Turtles with crippling views. We also saw them we went on a day trip on a boat going around the island on a day trip plus Elenora's Falcons, Alpine Swifts, Pallid Swifts and Scopoli's Shearwaters.

Both times we went in Mid June.

Good Luck I'm sure you will be fine!!

Should have said about the elenoras falcons. I too have seen them in the bay. I believe there is a breeding pair. Theres also plenty of barn owls and little owls. It was 2009 i last visited and cannot remember much more bird life in honesty.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back