• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

long-tailed Ducks (2 Viewers)

Mustang Birder

Jersey
Hi Guys, I will be visiting family in Newcastle for the last week of November and am hoping to see some long-tailed ducks (none in may for obvious reasons), some i'm hoping someone could tell me a reliable spot to get good views of them that is not to far from Newcastle?
Thanks

Depends what you mean by not far from Newcastle but you should have a good chance of seeing them around Stag rocks (Bamburgh), Ross sands and Holy Island then I would think.
I'm not sure close views are reliably found anywhere but I seem to remember some giving good views in Seahouses harbour earlier in the year.

They do also turn up on inland pools like of Cresswell and east Chevington etc from time to time so might be worth keeping an eye out for reports near the time.

I'm not sure either place is a dead-cert for seeing them, but the closest views I have had are in Seahouses harbour and from the causeway over to Holy Island. It's always worth keeping an eye on the NTBC sightings page closer to the time to find out where they're being seen.

Just thinking about possible nearer sites - St Mary's Island in Whitley Bay has sightings annually, but (as far as I am aware) not regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back