• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildfowl flock? Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt, December 15 2023 (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

During a recent trip to the above venue, I managed to take a photo of an unidentified overflying flock of birds. Upon arrival back home I was able to look at the photo, with a view to ascertaining if possible the species of bird in the photo.
However, my effort to clinch the species has been in vain. Therefore I request the help here please in case someone can tell what the birds are.
Regrettably, not a lot of detail seems to be on view in the image, in spite of the high number of birds.
As far as I can tell, these birds seem to be some kind of wildfowl. I think I can see a duck-like bill on one or two of the birds. Still I could be mistaken.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 146
My first impression was some Aythya sp. (two examples below). Why not Pochard or Ferruginous Duck (dark wingtip, white underwing, white belly, brownish head and breast, white blaze next to the bill in some)?

Attachments

• 20240128_223850.jpg
    20240128_223850.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I struggle with the options put forward as I do with the ID to be honest.
I think the is a single species here ( could be wrong)
I also think there are both sexes present -pale headed birds being females and males dark headed.
If Pintail - the normally elongated tail & neck is missing
If Pochard (which are v scarce in the Red Sea) surely we would see the black breast (probably) and the black back end on the males (definitely). So although the females could fit the males don't.
Same points for Fudge duck.

Shovelers don't fit the 'males'

The vent area on the 'males' also rules out Mallard, Wigeon, most Aythyas and even Teal.

The most common migrant duck I have seen along the coast around here is Garganey. The date seems very late to even consider them but they almost fit.

I wondered Marbled Duck, but I presume that would be a decent sized flock. But a number do fit Garganey ... do they 'winter' there?
According to the Birdsoftheworld.org distribution map for this species, they do indeed winter there. The Sinai peninsula seems to be right on the northern extremity of the wintering range.

My first impression was some Aythya sp. (two examples below). Why not Pochard or Ferruginous Duck (dark wingtip, white underwing, white belly, brownish head and breast, white blaze next to the bill in some)?
Thank you for your very helpful contribution. I can see what you mean by Ferruginous duck, with the white belly : I did see one Ferruginous duck on a lake during my visit, so I would not be at all surprised if at least some were this species. On the other hand, many of the birds in the flock do seem to have rather pale heads, although some at least seem to show a dark head. Admittedly the photo is, I think, possibly over-exposed

I struggle with the options put forward as I do with the ID to be honest.
I think the is a single species here ( could be wrong)
I also think there are both sexes present -pale headed birds being females and males dark headed.
If Pintail - the normally elongated tail & neck is missing
If Pochard (which are v scarce in the Red Sea) surely we would see the black breast (probably) and the black back end on the males (definitely). So although the females could fit the males don't.
Same points for Fudge duck.

Shovelers don't fit the 'males'

The vent area on the 'males' also rules out Mallard, Wigeon, most Aythyas and even Teal.

The most common migrant duck I have seen along the coast around here is Garganey. The date seems very late to even consider them but they almost fit.
Whilst here, I didnt see any Garganey, Wigeon Mallard, on the water. Only Teal and Ferruginous Duck. On the other hand trip reports from this area seem to feature Garganey a lot. Also according to "Birds of the World.org" Sinai is within the wintering area. I do appreciate your answer

In conclusion: I have checked and of all the species suggested (thank you) only Garganey is said to have its wintering within that range (Sinai Peninsula) . All the others mentioned would be "passage migrants" here, and the migration season was past by the date of the sighting.
In view of the above, I respectfully plump for Garganey as a possible, but not a certainty
With kind regards and thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back