• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lonley Magpie in my garden (1 Viewer)

Loulou83

United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
Not a big bird person really but enjoy them obv so after some advice.
For the past maybe 2 weeks we have had a single magpie in our garden, he hops about and always looks like he is investigating/lost something and is always here.
I really don't mind him being here (apart from him trying to pull the sealant from my conservatory :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:) as long as he doesn't decide to attack my cat.

I like him being here he just looks like he is constantly looking for something, hopping around a lot and flying from fence to fence.
Do I need to do anything/give him anything, does he want something? I feel sorry for him as looks lonely and like he is lost, my neighbour behind has an incredible amount of bird feeders so not sure why he is with me and not her as I have no water source/berries etc.

Lou

Hi Loulou and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Magpies don't normally go around in flocks (though will be seen in family parties until the young are mature enough to leave and make it on their own). They are opportunistic feeders with a wide variety in their diet. They're basically too big for hanging feeders, so mostly feed on the ground. You can read more about them in our Opus article: Eurasian Magpie - BirdForum Opus.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back