• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for an 8x32 in the $300 range (1 Viewer)

winginit

I've been reading a number of reviews (and posts here), looking for an affordable 8x32 binocular that is better than the Prostaff 7s I currently have. The Prostaffs are sharp and light weight but reflections are an issue and it would be nice to have a wider FOV. Ideally, I'm looking for binoculars that are sharp across the view with good color and decent CA control. Good control of glare, too. Comfortable to handle, with a reliable build and warranty. It's been a challenge to find a highly rated model with ED glass for $300 or so. So I'm hoping some birders here might have recommendations? Thanks!

I've been reading a number of reviews (and posts here), looking for an affordable 8x32 binocular that is better than the Prostaff 7s I currently have. The Prostaffs are sharp and light weight but reflections are an issue and it would be nice to have a wider FOV. Ideally, I'm looking for binoculars that are sharp across the view with good color and decent CA control. Good control of glare, too. Comfortable to handle, with a reliable build and warranty. It's been a challenge to find a highly rated model with ED glass for $300 or so. So I'm hoping some birders here might have recommendations? Thanks!
$250:

Of your selection, I would opt for opticron discovery but frankly…. You won’t find what you are looking for in the $300 range. Save up your money and look in $1000 range. Even the mid 500-600 most likely will not suit your wants, as you listed.

It's hard to have everything with 300$ to use, Prostaffs are not far from that level. I think you should try Nikon Monarch M7 8x30, around 380$. It has better picture and wider FOV. Hard to find anything cheaper and better. If that's not good enough, you need more money to invest.

Thanks, Dipperdapper. I prefer the roof binocular form factor, but would consider a small porro like the Oberwerk. I'm also looking at the Opticron 8x32 Explorer WA ED-R and the Hawke Endurance 8x32 ED. Hoping to get some feedback on those two.
The Oberwerk SE is in a completely different league to either of your choices.

Ideally, I'm looking for binoculars that are sharp across the view with good color and decent CA control. Good control of glare, too. Comfortable to handle, with a reliable build and warranty.
"sharp across the view" can be a bit of an issue. That would indicate using a bino with field flatteners and they are not cheap. So I think 300$ is a bit of a tricky price bracket. They won't be that much better than cheaper models and the real improvement in optics starts at around 500$/€ and above in my opinion.
I also read you want a wider FoV -- that means even more money to be spent if that wide view should be sharp to the edge.
I'd go with a bino without field flatteners -- sharp edges are overrated even though I do own 7 flat-field binos. But the wider angle models with moderate field curvature (blurry edges) work just as well and make up for the blurry edges with those wider views. Affordable flat-field models often have a rather narrow view.
One of my cheapest flat-field binos that I bought was the Canon 8x32WP (no longer made) -- 170€ used but at 8x magnification it only has a 7.5° FoV.

My recommendation:
Kowa BDII 8x32 with 8.8° FoV -- probably one of the widest views for the money. And it has much less distortion at the edges than the 6.5x32 version.
The Kowa is also of much better build quality than a Prostaff. I bought the new P7 and the diopter ring came loose after using it maybe 5 times. Everything is made of plastic on that model except for the lenses.
The Kowa has a magnesium body.

If you absolutely want the field flatteners -- many users on "cloudy nights" like the "Meade Masterclass" models. I never tried one, so I cannot say how good they are.
Also -- one small detail -- be aware that almost everything in that price range will be made in China. If you don't want that, I'd recommend something like the Fujinon HC 8x42 or 10x42 which is made in Japan. I have the 8x42 and think it is excellent. The only small nit-pick is that it suffers from "fuzzy field stop" syndrome, which means you cannot see the outer edge of the field stop clearly but that is something caused by individual face geometry and how deep-set one's eyes are.
Best would be to test in a store. I found my Fuji HC for slightly above 500€ but I don't see them for that price anymore. And it's 200 above your limit anyway.
So for the widest view in a decent quality package, I think the Kowa BDII still wins.

winginit, post 1,
The GPO Passion ED 8x32 is in an attractive price range you are looking for and can compete very well with quite a bit higher priced 8x30/32 binoculars. A test can be found on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor, so you can compare.
Gijs van Ginkel
The Oberwerk SE is also better than the GPO Passion ED 8x 32.

I've reviewed nearly all the GPOs.

Van Ginkel: I'd highly recommend you test one of the Oberwerk units before dismissing it.

A point of order and procedure:

Although it sounds cool in the movies and on TV, “over and out” is a contradiction.

“Over” conveys that one is listening and awaiting a transmission from the other party.

“Out” conveys that the conversation is finished, and no further communication is expected.

So one simply identifies (if required) and says “out”.

Last edited:
Dipperdapper, post 9,
Oberwerk binoculars are nowhere to be found here (in The Netherlands), so testing them is kind of difficult and I am not dismissing it, but you have to show me with solid data that the Oberwerk is so much better.
Gijs van Ginkel

Dipperdapper; I see you reviewed the Celestron Trailseeker (NON ED). How was the edge in that particualr bino and how large the sweetspot? In comparison to the Obie Se 8x32?? Regards, Pat

Last edited:
I agree with Imans66. Most of the roofs at the $300 price point are MIC junk. I tried the Oberwerk SE 8x32 and GPO Passion 8x32 and wasn't impressed at all. The Kowa BDII 8x32 has a big FOV but very distracting soft edges. I would save another $150 and get an E2 8x30. It is MIJ and high quality and has excellent optics for the price. For the money you want to spend, you won't beat it.

@[email protected]
Strange - I don't think the BDII 8x32 has "distracting soft edges" at all. I think you're once again (as usual) putting to much emphasis on something that 90 % of users would consider a non issue.
The 8x32 has way less field curvature than the 6.5x32. But this might be a matter of age. I'm 46 and for me the Kowa BDII 8x32 is perfectly fine.

With $300 there are going to be compromises. The Oberwerk is a large 8X30 porro, however it is low cost, (be interesting with heavy use after a year). The BD II is a bit more, small size roof, fast focus, but built very well, some issues with stray light at night.
Unfortunately is always costs more for less compromise on optical performance/build quality.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and suggestions. I know there will be compromises for glass in the $300 range. I will likely have to buy to try the models mentioned in these posts.

@[email protected]
Strange - I don't think the BDII 8x32 has "distracting soft edges" at all. I think you're once again (as usual) putting to much emphasis on something that 90 % of users would consider a non issue.
The 8x32 has way less field curvature than the 6.5x32. But this might be a matter of age. I'm 46 and for me the Kowa BDII 8x32 is perfectly fine.
It is not just me. Here are various comments on the Kowa BDXII 6.5x32 from Bird Forum.

"They are rather good binoculars and would be my recommendation for anyone looking for a lower priced, lower magnification model. Optically, stray light and edge sharpness/edge CA control are their only flaws, but I would think without alpha level monetary investments, such complaints are of limited importance when considering the wide F0V and central view performance. Mine are still my typical 'work truck' binoculars due to their compact size and overall "ease" of view due to the combined wide field and large eye-relief."

"First, the field curvature / out of focus edges / size of the sweet spot. This doesn't bother me at all when I'm looking at a still subject, and I can still amply see motion out to the edges with no problem to find new targets. But when panning around slowly looking for birds, the effect of the periphery going into and out of focus is something that I find a bit distracting and mildly uncomfortable."

"Second, I find that the view is subtly but definitely less comfortable / relaxing than my other binoculars, but I've yet to come up with why. I'm no professional but have done a fair bit of trying to verify collimation within my abilities: looking at distant objects with the binoculars tripod mounted and then backing away and defocusing until the two exit pupils combine, then seeing if they resolve to one image, and they do quite well. I cannot find any breaks in horizontal surfaces doing this either. Essentially, I can't see any collimation problems, but again I am not an expert. Perhaps it's the curved field that I find a bit distracting? I will keep using them and playing with them and pondering this aspect of the situation, but for now I'm a bit surprised that I don't find them more "relaxing" to use. I definitely find my 10x42 Swaros give a bit more relaxing / easy view despite the smaller exit pupil and higher magnification."

"Overall, in terms of optics, build quality / mechanics, and aesthetics, my bottom line assessment is that the BDII feels like a cheap Chinese knock-off of the Genesis. Which, in a way, is exactly what it is! The exterior and optics look extremely similar at first glance, but the differences in quality become more obvious with closer inspection."

"I don’t think it’s that much of a mystery — it’s poorly corrected glass, and yours is probably a meh sample. Lack of “viewing comfort”, difficulty achieving perfect focus, constantly tweaking the diopter... those strike me as signs of the stuff Henry found in his review. I’d bet money that if you sent yours to Henry, and he did a boosted star test, they would have all sorts of issues. Probably not severe enough to totally ruin the view, but enough to have you constantly fidgeting trying to dial it in “just right” - your brain knows something is “off”.”

Dear Winginit,

I apologise for interfering again, but I had to intervene as I suspect one poster in this thread has nefarious intentions and has a long and distinguished reputation for contradicting himself. His hard and fast dismissal of the Oberwerk SE stands out like a sore thumb, as it is completely anomalous to what I've read in all other reports I've seen thus far.

The Oberwerk SE should really be compared with top level roofs. If you read through this CN thread you'll hear about the SE being comparable to
A Leica BN and Swarovski EL:

See posts # 128, 134 and 136 from a poster ckwastro, post #166 from Pinac( going by the name Canip on Birdforum) .

I've stated publicly that the Oberwerk SE is slightly better than my Nikon E II 8x 30 - a world class Porro that is widely accepted as performing like roofs in the $1K range

Finally, poster Paultricounty from Birdforum has already given his first impressions of the Oberwerk SE compared with the Nikon SE 8 x 32 which has a cult following here on BF.

You can find his report here:

He quotes for post # 83:

These are bright and sharp binoculars. I’m going to get in trouble here with some Nikon guys, but they are brighter and at least as sharp as the Nikon SE’s. Theyre more neutral in color than the Nikons and has a much wider field of view. There is no field flattener like the Nikons , so they’re not sharp to the edge. It’s a very usable FOV with fall off starting at around 75% , but no mushy edges like the Kowa BDII 6.5 and 8x and some other MIC bins. Contrast is as good as the Nikon and I couldn’t see the slightest amount of CA, clearly superior to the Nikon in that area. They snap into focus very nicely.

I've learned to never rely on vicarious 'reviews' from folk who've never tested the glass but who see these products with sinophobic tinted glasses.

I would just advise that you give the SE a fair chance. If you don't like it, you can send it back for a full refund.

Thank you and best of luck with your bino shopping.

Regards,

Neil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back