• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for birding spots in NH (1 Viewer)

jbetz

It doesn't look like too many people visit this New Hampshire section, but I figure I will give it a shot anyway. I frequently visit southern NH, and am wondering if anyone can provide suggestions on good birding spots. I specifically visit the Hanover area and the Bedford area. I am a casual birder, but am interested in challenges also. Any suggestions would be great. Cheers

Hey Jon, how did you make out with the birding around Hanover? I'll be near there (Wentworth) during the first week of August. Did you finally get any response for good spots, or did you find any yourself? Any tips would be appreciated.

Scott

This site may be of some help: http://www.nhaudubon.org/birding_info.html

I do not have detailed local knowledge (only visited New Hampshire from Massachusetts on occasion). But Hanover is fairly near the White Mountains, so that's obviously one place to consider, especially for boreal species (Caps Ridge Trail, for example. Bedford/Manchester is not too far from the coast, and there's a lot of good birding there, near Seabrook/Hampton Harbor and Great Bay National Wildlife Refuge and vicinity. The New Hampshire listserv has a number of sightings of unusual gulls at Hampton Harbor just recently: http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NHBD.html

Hope this helps,
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks so much Jim. I will look over these sites and I may even make a day trip to the coast to check out some of those birds.

Scott

Regrettably, my hectic summer schedule ended up preventing me doing much birding, and I haven't yet explored the NH birding spots. I'm finally back in the granite state now, and so will post any nice spots I find. Thanks for the link to Audubon Jim. That looks like a great site. I'm living in Bedford now, and planning on making some trips into the Bear Brook State Park in the near future. I'll let you know what I find.

Good birding sites near Hanover, Bedford NH

Jonathan,
There's a great birding site just south of Hanover and just north of Lebanon, along the Connecticut River; it's called Boston Lot Reservoir. It's not the reservoir per se that's so great, but the surrounding woodlands and trails. I've logged over 50 species in the last 2 years!

I park across from the hydro dam on NH-10, then hike up the trail to the reservoir (0.3 miles). Pay particular attention to the area where the 2 power line corridors meet; the apple trees and brush host an interesting assortment of birds year-round. April thru June are the best times, of course.

In the Bedford area, I'd suggest Bear Brook State Park (north of Manchester, in Allentown) or Pawtuckaway State Park (east of Manchester, in Raymond). I've been to Bear Brook once; it features lots of trails and has lots of water bodies.

Good luck and enjoy!
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back