• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for spotting scope advice (1 Viewer)

I’ve owned all the scopes you’ve noted here (Swaro ATS HD, Zeiss 85 t*Fl Black version, and Kowa 883 with TE-11WZ eyepiece). Between the Swaro and the newer Zeiss, my preference is the Zeiss. In my experience while the Swaro displayed a sharp field to the edge, i struggled with eye placement on the 25-50 eyepiece - it was fiddly. There are also other threads here about finnicky eye placement on this scope / eyepiece combo.

Ultimately the Zeiss had a much more relaxed and forgiving view. It’s also razor sharp in the centre, but softens around the last 20% towards the edge…I found the Zeiss also had a slightly cooler hue vs the Swaro.

If the Kowa 883 is in contention, then between the 3, I’d pick the Kowa. It’s got the cleanest, brightest view. Its sharp to the edge and the personally i found the TE-11WZ eyepiece a step up from the Swaro. It’s also got extenders that you can use for additional magnification….

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back