• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lot of models in Vortex binoculars! (1 Viewer)

Pepitogrillo

Andorra
Hello,
I was looking at the Vortex brochure on their website and discovered that they had a lot of different models with very high prices, it is clear that the Razor UHD line must be the alpha line (I guess because of its higher price)... but I would like to ask you what it would be the middle line in terms of optical quality, Viper, Crosshair, Diamondback...? Has anyone tried or compared any of them?
I briefly tried the 8x32 Diamondback and I loved its construction, let's say I fell in love with its hardware, it had an absolutely wonderful focus knob, its phenomenal grip and the eyepieces too... but I wasn't entirely convinced by the image it gave... Does Vortex have any other model with the same build quality but with a more 'pop' image, let's say it that way, but without being much more expensive?
PG.

I didn't like the Viper or Diamondback models I tried, but maybe the Razor lineup would be worth checking out, especially if they make any compact 6-7x models.

I have the Diamondback HD (DBHD) in 8x32 and 10x50 and had the Viper HD in 10x50 and personally I can speak favourably about them.
The DBHD are inexpensive and perform very well, the image quality is really pleasant. The 8x32 has the knwon "ring of reflection" that does not interfere in the view itself, but can be quite annoying. But then, for less than 200 € you can get a very nice sharp image, good contrast, (what I found to be) a good build quality feeling (always thinking about the price) and the VIP warranty. I really see no fault in them. I've used other binoculars from other brands at similar and higher prices (Bushnell, Kenko, etc.) and the quality seemed waaaay lower.

Then the Viper HD is a clear step up in every sense. I got the 10x50 because I was interested in a light 10x, and the Viper HD 10x50 is almost in 10x42 territory when it comes to size and weight. Again, a very nice device for the price (especially for the price you can get them in the US; over here in Europe they tend to be a little more pricey).

I'd say that the Diamondback is a very capable sub 200 € with nothing to complain about and many things to praise. And the Viper is a pretty solid performer at the 500 € range (which basically means "Made in China" nowadays) where the warranty gives you the peace of mind you get with more expensive models from more expensive brands. I get the impression that Vortex is doing things well creating nice products at competitive prices and backing them with a great warranty. It somehow (doing things very differently) reminds me of Meopta offering amazing value (yes, I know, I know they're very different brands and products). I haven't handled any Razor HD or UHD, so I can't speak about it. I have used a Razor HD 85 scope, and it was pretty good and bright, but I think the image was a little softer (and a little more CA) than Swarovski ATS HD. But I don't know how that relates to the Razor HD binocular range. They usually get pretty good reviews (I remember Roger Vine from Scope Views was very happy with the high mag 18x56 Razor UHD).

Razor hd 10x42 was good, I enjoyed it's focus and build but I'd take a Monarch hg over it at roughly the same price. I think the sweet spot with Vortex is the Viper, heard consistently good things about them.
If buying again I'd compare them with Maven also.

The Diamondback has a lot of fans, but I've owned a Crossfire (12x50) and was quite surprised at how good they were, for the price, even though the glass can get much better higher up the catalogue.

The Viper seems a little bit of a compromise option. The Razors are quite a bit better, and only one step up in terms of price.

There seem to only be very minor differences between the glass in the Razor HD and UHD lines - not much that I could detect, anyway. The major difference is in frame design and ergonomics. You need to try them in your hand before you'll know which one suits you best. I also found the diopter wheel to be somewhat poor quality on some Razors (sometimes Vortex can surprise you with a low-end model; I think the diopter on the Crossfire is better than the Razor, on the pairs I've used, at least).

Some users find the high-power Kaibabs difficult to use due to the unusual ergonomics. I've not looked through them myself.

A lot of models, yes.
But is quality uniform inside same line? For Viper HD, has the 12x50 same level of quality as 10x42?

Hello,
I was looking at the Vortex brochure on their website and discovered that they had a lot of different models with very high prices, it is clear that the Razor UHD line must be the alpha line (I guess because of its higher price)... but I would like to ask you what it would be the middle line in terms of optical quality, Viper, Crosshair, Diamondback...? Has anyone tried or compared any of them?
I briefly tried the 8x32 Diamondback and I loved its construction, let's say I fell in love with its hardware, it had an absolutely wonderful focus knob, its phenomenal grip and the eyepieces too... but I wasn't entirely convinced by the image it gave... Does Vortex have any other model with the same build quality but with a more 'pop' image, let's say it that way, but without being much more expensive?
PG.
I use Nikon Monarch 7 and Vortex Diamondback binoculars and prefer my Diamondbacks. The grip is better for me and the wheel is less rigid.

I have a Viper HD 6x32 which is a keeper. It's continued since several years. It belonged to the former line of Viper series. I am not satisfied with the new line. Eye relief is sacrificed in order to get wider FOV. Every modern high class 8x42 and 10x50 works good with eyeglasses for me, but not the new Viper HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back