• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

low light 7x50 porro binoculars (1 Viewer)

marzan

Dear All,
I'm looking for a WP CF 7x50 porro binos for birding in low light. Your suggestions or experiences are welcome. Budget: about 400-500 € (500-600 $). Fuji 7x50 WP CF, Vixen Foresta 7x50, any other model you put your eyes through with "wow" sensations?

Unfortunately, the Novas are *SOLD*. I just got back on Amart after my letter came up and my account was deactivated. You have to pay the new $15 yearly membership fee to reactivate your account when the first letter of your last name comes up, apparently in a random drawing. Well, my letter came up, and wouldcha know it, it had to be when a much coveted, pristine 10* TFOV 7x50 Nova came up for sale. By the time I got back on, the Nova,, true to its name, shined brightly for a short time and then faded into obscurity. :-C

Frankly, most 7x50s fail to "Wow!" me due to their narrowish AFOV (usually around 50*). But the 7x50 Nova has a 70* AFOV. My 10x50 Nova has an 80* AFOV. That's "Wide County" worthy of Andrew Prine and Earl Holliman.

<B>

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the Novas are *SOLD*. I just got back on Amart after my letter came up and my account was deactivated. You have to pay the new $15 yearly membership fee to reactivate your account when the first letter of your last name comes up, apparently in a random drawing. Well, my letter came up, and wouldcha know it, it had to be when a much coveted, pristine 10* TFOV 7x50 Nova came up for sale. By the time I got back on, the Nova,, true to its name, shined brightly for a short time and then faded into obscurity. :-C

Frankly, most 7x50s fail to "Wow!" me due to their narrowish AFOV (usually around 50*). But the 7x50 Nova has a 70* AFOV. My 10x50 Nova has an 80* AFOV. That's "Wide County" worthy of Andrew Prine and Earl Holliman.

<B>
That's because I bought the Celestron 7x50 Nova's! HaHa. I got them for $200.00. They look like new don't they? I heard they are almost as good as Fujinon's. How do you like your 10x50's? I hear the image is a little fuzzy at the edges but who cares with a 525 foot FOV. I feel like trying some 7x50's again. I also bought a pair of Frank's Vixen Foresta's 7x50 for $269.00 from B&H with free shipping. Pretty cheap huh?
Professor EDZ just rants and raves about the Foresta's 7x50 over at Cloudy Nights.

That's because I bought the Celestron 7x50 Nova's! HaHa. I got them for $200.00. They look like new don't they? I heard they are almost as good as Fujinon's. How do you like your 10x50's? I hear the image is a little fuzzy at the edges but who cares with a 525 foot FOV. I feel like trying some 7x50's again. I also bought a pair of Frank's Vixen Foresta's 7x50 for $269.00 from B&H with free shipping. Pretty cheap huh?
Professor EDZ just rants and raves about the Foresta's 7x50 over at Cloudy Nights.

Watch out with the Forestas outacollimation. Many frenchies had their pair pretty quick out of collimation after 1 year and 2 years of normal use.
With 2 years warranty it was a problem to me, so i never bought them (they are 350€ in France, which should be about 460$, pretty scary with 2 years warranty. But at 270$ theres no problem!)
Normally their optics are extraordinary from what i red too.

Last edited:
If someone has other suggestions, i'm interested with a 7x50 config, having a good FOV, which is not common nowadays...
I'm thinking about a 7x50 Aculon, but the FOV is a bit narrowish.
The second hand market of binoculars is not really interesting in France, so i'm searching for a new item.
The problem is that not finding a good 7x50 with a generous FOV could piss me off, and i'll might end up with a 7x42 EDG, i saw a few priced a 1500 euros (1950$).

Last edited:
Using a 7x50 is a pleasant experience in low light. The image is as bright as it gets and the low power and whopping exit pupil are steady and easy on the eyes.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find any wide field 7x50 with modern coatings. And if you want the binocular primarily for low light, it seems sad to sacrifice brightness.

The one exception I know of is the short lived and rare Miyauchi Binon 7x50, but it's individual eyepiece focusing.

Giorgio, living well is the best revenge.

Ron

If someone has other suggestions, i'm interested with a 7x50 config, having a good FOV, which is not common nowadays...
I'm thinking about a 7x50 Aculon, but the FOV is a bit narrowish.
The second hand market of binoculars is not really interesting in France, so i'm searching for a new item.
The problem is that not finding a good 7x50 with a generous FOV could piss me off, and i'll might end up with a 7x42 EDG, i saw a few priced a 1500 euros (1950$).

Giorgio,

You are better off with the 7x42 EDG. Not only do you get more advanced coatings and a wider FOV, but also a better close focus. About the best close focus I've seen listed in a 7x50 is the 7x50 Fuji, which is 17 ft. but it has IF EPs, and at 52 oz, you need arms like Arnold or Ronh (aka "Conan") to use it for extended periods.

More typically, 7x50s focus at 30 or 40 ft. The Vixen 7x50 Foresta is listed at 45 ft, but Frank's amazingly flexible eyes can close focus them down to 11 ft. He must have gotten a cherry, I doubt if Vixen's specs would be that far off.

Plus, the Nikon has a smooth focuser and an excellent image. It's like a 7x42 SE with ED glass. The ergos I'm not sure about, I haven't tried the "II" version.

It's at the top of my Wish List, and it unless the prices fall dramatically or my salary goes up dramatically, that's where it's likely to remain.

<B>

Last edited:
The Nikon 7x42 EDG is not going to be like a 7x42 SE with ED glass. I had the Nikon 8x32 EDG II and there is no way it was like my Nikon 8x32 SE. It didn't have near the 3D view, the DOF, resolution or contrast. I sold my EDG because I much preferred the SE. I have had the best roofs including the Swarovision 8.5x42 and the Swarovski 8x32 EL and none of them compare to a good porro. I have all porro's now because in my opinion roofs don't compare. I just sold my Swarovski 8x32 EL because the flat large scale image doesn't cut it for me like the 3D realistic image of a good porro. The image of a Nikon SE, EII or Swarovski Habicht can't be bettered and the great thing is that they are half the price of the roofs. The close focus of the Foresta is 38 feet which is fairly long but how often do you see a bird closer than that?

Last edited:
Brock recommending a roof and Dennis recommending a porro....am I the only who notices the irony in this?????

I'm an old school sort of guy and love the easy on the eyes view provided by a quality 7x50 although as pointed out in this thread most 7x50s have a rather narrow fov compared to other binoculars. I have no experience with the Vixen Foresta 7x50 but judging from Edz's and FrankD's reviews they must be good.

I'm a diehard porro fan and have found the view provided by my 7x42 EDG to closely mimic the 3d view provided by my porros and in one of my first posts on this forum I described the view in my then new EDG as being very 8x30 EIIish because of the 7x42 EDG's perceived dof, 3d like view, and the typical Nikon color balance. I think the lower magnification and the associated dof are why the 7x42 roofs more closely resemble the view provided by a porro--I don't notice this pronounced 3d effect in my 8x roofs.

Steve

Brock recommending a roof and Dennis recommending a porro....am I the only who notices the irony in this?????
Steve

This is very unusual indeed lol.
Thank you Brock Dennis and Steve for your tips and explanations regarding the EDGII.
I hope i'll find the good porro and my gf would also hope i guess, as she will never understand why i want to spend 1500€ (which is the median french salary) on an EDG ^^
I keep on searching, even good chinaporros.

On friday i visit a customer where there is a hunting shop not far. I gave them a call and the dealer gots a 10x50 and a 7x50 Aculon.
I will try them, if the 7x50 is fine i'll perhaps (=certainly as i know me...) buy it.

I will bet the Vixen Foresta 7x50 for $269.00 is quite a bit better than the Aculon. It has a bigger FOV and probably sharper edges and way better on-axis resolution.

Last edited:
No doubt the Forestas are better than the Aculons for edge sharpness.
About the resolution i don't know, i 've always found the Actions VII to be extremely sharp in the sweet spot, maybe better than the Habichts. I hope the Aculons will keep their ancestors resolution.
Edit: where the Forestas should shine is their exceptionnal contrast from what i remember reading in the reviews.
The 7x50 Forestas are unfortunately unfindable here, plus i don't really want to put 460$ on them just for a 80% night use and a 2 years warranty.
If i could have it at the price you had it, i would have say go with the Forestas for sure.

Last edited:
Hola Dennis.
The current Action VII 7x35 has very good optics (not for real aficionados optics junkies), just read the Action VII and Ex reviews all over internet, including Amazon, etc...
Their main problem is that they have monster FOVs, so only the 60% (7x35) or80-90% (10x50) of the fov is very sharp, the outer field is generally very blurry.
But for the one that uses the center of the sweet spot only and not the edges to look at nature and birds, these porro series are excellent, especially for people not sensitive to CAs.
I'm very sensible to CA and the Ex series are more than correct regarding this aberration.
You should try the 10x50 Action VII, as you are focusing to the edges it should be the action you will prefer i guess, as it's the model with the best edges. The 10x50Ex has much better optics, their sweet spot is similar in the view to the old Conquest.
Have you received the Forestas?

Giorgio.

No, I don't get them until Monday. I do get the Celestron 7x50 Nova's with the 10 degree field tomorrow. I will let you know what I think of them. I think I have a buyer for $500.00 if I don't like them.

No, it was mainly the smallish FOV I didn't like but I decided I can put up with it for the excellent on-axis resolution of the Foresta's. I really prefer porro's anymore and I am trying to find some for low light terrestial use with a nice comfortable Exit Pupil like the 7x50's have. I am trying the Celestron Nova 7x50's for the same reason. Over at Cloudy Nights Dr.Edz(He is Cloudy Night's Optical Genius kind of like Henry) thinks the Foresta's are the cats meow so I just want to try them again.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back