• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx-BirdLife Taxonomic Checklist (7 Viewers)

I only quickly scanned through the ABA area relevant birds.

The expected splits of Savannah and Fox Sparrow were there, as was Yellow-rumped Warbler splits. The latter two are accepted by IOC but not AOU, but the Savannah Sparrow split has been frequently argued for. The most surprising were split's of Swainson's Thrush (into Swainson's (blegh) and Russet-backed) and a split of the Old World versus New World Great Gray/Grey Shrike.

However this list is surprisingly conservative (I was expected far greater revision based on the non-passerine update), and seems incredibly inconsistent. For instance Northwestern Crow is listed but Island/Woodhouse's/California Scrub-Jays are all treated as a single taxon. Similarly, Bahama Nuthatch is listed but non of the proposed White-breasted Nuthatch splits are recognized. Certainly there is far more morphological/behavioral/genetic evidence for splitting Western Scrub-jays than there is for keeping Northwestern Crow around.

It also seems to be behind the curve on other issues as well. The stonechat example was already listed, but even though Varied Tit is split the Great Tit isn't, although I think the latter complex probably contains as much distinctions as the former. Also some other weirdness....Cettiidae is merged with Scotocercidae, and American Treecreeper is the common name of Brown Creeper, despite the fact that I have never remotely seen that name used.

Overall not terribly impressed.

ABA area

I only quickly scanned through the ABA area relevant birds.

The expected splits of Savannah and Fox Sparrow were there, as was Yellow-rumped Warbler splits. The latter two are accepted by IOC but not AOU, but the Savannah Sparrow split has been frequently argued for. The most surprising were split's of Swainson's Thrush (into Swainson's (blegh) and Russet-backed) and a split of the Old World versus New World Great Gray/Grey Shrike.

However this list is surprisingly conservative (I was expected far greater revision based on the non-passerine update), and seems incredibly inconsistent. For instance Northwestern Crow is listed but Island/Woodhouse's/California Scrub-Jays are all treated as a single taxon. Similarly, Bahama Nuthatch is listed but non of the proposed White-breasted Nuthatch splits are recognized. Certainly there is far more morphological/behavioral/genetic evidence for splitting Western Scrub-jays than there is for keeping Northwestern Crow around.

It also seems to be behind the curve on other issues as well. The stonechat example was already listed, but even though Varied Tit is split the Great Tit isn't, although I think the latter complex probably contains as much distinctions as the former. Also some other weirdness....Cettiidae is merged with Scotocercidae, and American Treecreeper is the common name of Brown Creeper, despite the fact that I have never remotely seen that name used.

Overall not terribly impressed.

Incredible that Northwestern Crow has been retained - especially under Tobias et al. I'm struggling to see how it can muster a single point cf American Crow, even on vocals after the work of Andrew Spencer and others on xeno-canto.

The rationale for Russet-backed Thrush (cf Swainson's) will be another interesting read - is this the first checklist to include it as a species?

I've no idea what is going on with Nuthatches, with two possibly extreme additions globally (Bahama, Siberian) cf failure to recognise the White-breasted Nuthatch splits. I can see how the latter would fail Tobias et al., but not how the former achieve the required total.

cheers, alan

Wing-banded Antbird

Southern Wing-banded Antbird Myrmornis torquata
Northern Wing-banded Antbird Myrmornis stictoptera

split. I don't think this is a surprise - is there a SACC proposal? Probably OK on Tobias et al. and more traditional methods!

cheers, a

Russet Antshrike

Western Russet Antshrike Thamnistes anabatinus
Eastern Russet Antshrike Thamnistes aequatorialis

split, new to me and look forward to reading the rationale.

cheers, a

Táchira Antpitta

Tachira Antpitta Grallaria chthonia
Scaled Antpitta Grallaria guatimalensis

Still there - interesting to read how it gets 7 points cf other Scaled taxa; it doesn't look amazingly convincing in plates, but perhaps distinctive in the drawer.

cheers, a

Tawny Antpitta

Western Tawny Antpitta Grallaria quitensis
Northern Tawny Antpitta Grallaria alticola
Southern Tawny Antpitta Grallaria atuensis

3 way split. Looking forward to reading this one.

cheers, a

Spotted Antpitta group

Spotted Antpitta Hylopezus macularius

yes, just the one, contra all recent checklists I think; there are almost certainly 4 species on more traditional criteria. I guess vocals in sub-oscines aren't as important as I thought!

cheers, alan

Scytalopus

No changes that I can spot by eye cf recent major checklists, and aligned with SACC I think. How can any Scytalopus achieve 7 points cf nearest relative? Interesting to see if the team has had a genuine go at applying the criteria or just given up.

cheers, a

Long-tailed Woodcreeper

Little Long-tailed Woodcreeper Deconychura typica
Northern Long-tailed Woodcreeper Deconychura longicauda
Southern Long-tailed Woodcreeper Deconychura pallida

3 way split, interesting to see the ranges - quiet likely to be OK for SACC as well perhaps, if vocals are ok?

cheers, a

Olivaceous Woodcreeper

Western Olivaceous Woodcreeper Sittasomus griseus
Eastern Olivaceous Woodcreeper Sittasomus griseicapillus

split, long anticipated break up of this group on more traditional criteria, will presumably go further?

cheers, a

Striped Manakin

Western Striped Manakin Machaeropterus striolatus
Eastern Striped Manakin Machaeropterus regulus

Back here as two species, contra Clements /Cornell at least

cheers, a

Green Manakin

Choco Manakin Cryptopipo litae
Green Manakin Cryptopipo holochlora

split, long mooted under traditional criteria, although I would have thought vocals important (never heard the western bird) and not sure how 7 points achieved for under Tobias et al? Perhaps they look good in the drawer.

cheers, alan

Swallow-tailed Cotinga

Swallow-tailed Cotinga Phibalura flavirostris
Apolo Cotinga Phibalura boliviana

Split and contra SACC? Another English name for the rather thin 'Palkachupa Cotinga'. Again be interesting to read this one.

cheers, a

Royal Flycatcher

Northern Royal Flycatcher Onychorhynchus mexicanus
Pacific Royal Flycatcher Onychorhynchus occidentalis
Amazonian Royal Flycatcher Onychorhynchus coronatus
Atlantic Royal Flycatcher Onychorhynchus swainsoni

Maximum split, Clements / Cornell currently at 3 I think, Atlantic usually lost in Amazonian.

cheers, a

Black-tailed Tityra

Western Black-tailed Tityra Tityra cayana
Eastern Black-tailed Tityra Tityra braziliensis

split, no idea

cheers, a

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back