• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx-BirdLife Taxonomic Checklist (1 Viewer)

BirdLife Australia has recently updated it's so-called "Working List of Australian Birds", which is largely based on HBW/BirdLife taxonomy, to version 2.0. While I would not recommend this hybrid list as a taxonomic source, it was interesting for a few omissions; firstly BirdLife Australia declined the split of Rufous-bellied Spinifex Pigeon and lumping of South Island Pied Oystercatcher, and published short opinions against these in the accompanying documents. Secondly the list contains this little nugget regarding Masked/Black-shouldered Lapwing:

Species from email from N.Collar (2014), contra del Hoyo et al. (2014) noting that this taxon will revert to subspecies at next revision of BirdLife International Checklist

See http://birdlife.org.au/conservation/science/taxonomy

HBW and BirdLife International Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the World. Volume 2 - due 31 December 2016. Cover now available.

I notice that they are recognizing 3 babbler families, but are missing an illustration for Timaliidae sensu stricto. Instead there are 2 representatives for Leiothrichidae (Silver-eared Mesia and White-crested Laughingthrush), plus one for Pellorneidae (Black-capped Babbler). Some other oddities too, such as the Spotted Elachura appearing as sister to the O'os. Likely the cover will be tweaked a bit, considering the first volume (which e.g. shows 6 families of parrots on the website version, but the book's actual jacket only shows the 3 that are recognized).

Liam

Given the diversity of Passeriformes, will be interesting to see just how many splits show up in this book, and if there are any unusual lumps.

New batch of forthcoming Birdlife splits, at least the ones involving threatened species. I've probably missed some, but below are the splits up till, lagging splits (already recognized by Clements and/or IOC) ignored. Black-winged Starling was already CR, now it's split into three species :eek!:

Cymbirhynchus affinis
Eurylaimus harterti
Pitta novaeguineae
Pitta rosenbergii
Pitta morotaiensis
Cinclodes maculirostris
Formicivora paludicola
Cranioleuca weskei
Myzomela batjanensis
Edolisoma pygmaeum
Cyanolanius comorensis
Lamprolia klinesmithi
Mirafra sharpii
Calamonastides bensoni
Artisornis sousae
Leiothrix laurinae
Gracula venerata
Gracupica jalla
Acridotheres triciolor
Acridotheres tertius
Anaplectes leuconotus
Anaplectes jubaensis

Looked away for a second and boom there were twelve more, for a total of 34. Now we have our first suboscine recognized as EX by Birdlife. :-C

Cymbirhynchus affinis
Eurylaimus harterti
Pitta novaeguineae
Pitta rosenbergii
Pitta morotaiensis
Pyrocephalus nanus
Pyrocephalus dubius
Dendrocolaptes punctipectus
Cinclodes maculirostris
Formicivora paludicola
Cranioleuca weskei
Myzomela batjanensis
Edolisoma pygmaeum
Edolisoma grayi
Edolisoma obiense
Edolisoma mayerii
Edolisoma rostratum
Cyanolanius comorensis
Lamprolia klinesmithi
Mirafra sharpii
Calamonastides bensoni
Artisornis sousae
Leiothrix laurinae
Gracula venerata
Gracupica jalla
Acridotheres triciolor
Acridotheres tertius
Lamprotornis violacior
Lamprotornis benguelensis
Dessonornis macclounii
Dessonornis mbuluensis
Anaplectes leuconotus
Anaplectes jubaensis
Ploceus upembae

how are you finding these new splits?

http://www.birdlife.org/globally-threatened-bird-forums/

Seems like this is the day when Birdlife posts them all. 14 more now. I should probably wait 'til they're finished, but I'm too excited. San Lucan Robin returns.

Tityra leucura
Sclerurus cearensis
Hylophilus viridiflavus
Hylophilus insularis
Rhipidura spilodera
Rhipidura layardi
Rhipidura rufilateralis
Rhipidura coultasi
Phyllanthus rubiginosus
Phyllanthus bohndorffi
Hylocitrea bonthaina
Sitta insularis
Turdus confinis
Stiphrornis pyrrholaemus

Tityra leucura was recognized as invalid (due to possible hybrid origin) by the SACC. The extinct taxon is the San Cristobal Vermilion Flycatcher.

Last edited:
It looks like this is only a partial list right? They are asking for the threat status for these new taxa, but as far as I can tell the only posted birds are those where one or so components would be vulnerable/threatened/or worse?

Presumably a split of a wide-ranging and common taxa won't get mentioned here (say splitting Yellow-rumped Warbler, as the first example that comes to mind)

Would be interesting to know what are the 19 extinct birds that are currently not listed in the IUCN Red List (HBW and BirdLife International Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the World. Volume 2 will list 58 extinct species vs. 41 extinct species in the Red List).

Had a look at the cover and found the following:
In this Checklist, with the guidance of many genetic studies and the aid of the scoring system employed to evaluate differences in morphology, vocalizations, ecology and geographical relationships, the number of taxonomic changes for the passerines has been significantly high. At present (totals may change slightly before publication), the current volume has 41 lumps and 628 splits, compared with the taxonomy presented in the HBW series.
So, sayonara Scottish Crossbill I imagine, i wonder what else has been lumped? Must bring the total number of species recognised over 11000 now too.

I'm betting five of the new extinct species concern splits in Acrocephalus, another five splits among Hawaiian Honeycreepers. Then there's probably Marianne White-eye and Bermuda Towhee. Darwin's Flycatcher has already been presented on the Birdlife forum. That leaves four.

As for the lumps, I see nine more or less obvious ones: Plain-breasted Earthcreeper, Four-colored Bushshrike, Uhehe Fiscal, Japanese Skylark, Brown-backed Cisticola, Amber Mountain Rock Thrush, Long-tailed Pipit, White-bellied Warbler and Hooded Seedeater. Apart from that, the only lump apparent from the Birdlife Forum is the lump of Carrizal Seedeater. That leaves 31.

Any guesses?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back