• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macclesfield Area (1 Viewer)

malgos

Going to spend two days in Rainow next week, can any one reccomend site within 30-40 miles for two days Birding.
Thanks Malcolm

Macclesfield forest - Herons should be thinking about nesting now, you might see Crossbills if you're lucky also Siskin, Redpoll, Coal Tits etc.
Mandarin Ducks also have been reported here.

Sandbach Flashes - Tree Sparrow, various ducks and waders, possibly Peregrine

A bit further afield Frodsham and the Weaver Bend - Golden Plover, 2 Avocets this week, SE Owl and lots of ducks.

This time last year I was just outside Macclesfield for the weekend. There was a Smew at a series of reservoirs at Maccelsfield Forest so I went there. The Smew isn't there this year but you would see a few Goldeneye and Siskin were abundant. Ridgeway and Trentabank Reservoirs are the best.

Stephen.

I Live in Whaley Bridge, not too far from Rainow, just over the hill infact lol.
Id recommend Goyt Valley or Toddbrook Reservoir as a starting place, Im more familiar with the "local" area, and not the Peak District in genreal.
Chapel-en-le-Frith you may be lucky to see the Grey Shrike, and theres a few Kestrels that have been seen on a hill called Eccles Pike (Ive seen one of them myself.)
Im sorry im not much use, Ive only been birding for a few weeks now lol, these are just the places ive been to..

Marbury NP The Bitterns were there last week. Lesser spotted woody, Goldcrests, Bullfinches, GC Grebes displaying ( worth the pay and display fee just for that) you can also walk to Witton Flash ( signposted Anderton Park, after the boat lift ) from here, just as good for birds, pleasant walk 1 mile

Steve

Hi Malcolm I live in Rainow, the lads have mentioned most of my favourite haunts. But the bridal path behind the Robin Hood down to Bollington then back up round the river and waterfall and the woods eastern side of Kerridge Ridge seen GSW. For water birds you could try Redesmere I often see Great Crested Grebe there. Any other questions send me a PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back