• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpie chasing kestrel hawk (1 Viewer)

Kappo

United Kingdom
I was just laying on my bed, when I heard a bird hit my window, I jumped up to investigate, and see a kestrel hawk on my shed roof with his catch between his claws, I couldn't see what sort of catch he had, but as I was watching , a magpie swooped in to attack the hawk, the hawk then managed to fly off with his catch, with the magpie chasing it, is this common please

Hi Kappo and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Goodness, what an interesting encounter you witnessed.

I'm wondering if the Kestrel had captured a young Magpie. That behaviour is common in some species, but as Magpies are so rare here, I can't comment on them.

I've moved your post to the Bird Behaviour forum, as it will be better placed there for the responses you need.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I saw two Magpies chasing/mobbing a Buzzard a couple of weeks ago. They were pretty persistent and chased it for some time. Not sure if Buzzard's would take chicks (as I don't have that much knowledge on Buzzards) or if the Magpies had a nest nearby and were chasing the Buzzard away from it. Interesting behaviour though, as I had not seen Magpies chasing Buzzards before this.

Corvids (crows and magpies for the OP) do often harry many raptors, at times quite relentlessly. On many occasions I've seen one or two agitated crows and then the smaller shape of the kestrel or sparrowhawk being mobbed. So yes it does happen, quite commonly at that. More often with crows than magpies, admittedly, but last year I saw an adult male peregrine leave its perch on a crane after persistent mobbing by a magpie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back