• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

THE INCREDIBLE PSYCHOLOGICAL POWER OF THE COLLARED SPARROW HAWK (1 Viewer)

greykangaroo

Australia
Sparrow Hawk flying over 2.jpeg
The first and last thing many birds see is this sight in the sky.

Where I live opposite a large park full of many species of birds I have noted times when the chatter of virtually twenty species comes to a dead stop. This is generally after an alarm call from a small bird, like Drrrrrrrrr. All birds seem to know the alarm call of other birds. They explode into the sky from all around my garden. I will go out and look to see a Sparrow Hawk some hundreds of feet up, flying slowly by.
Some of these birds such as the large corellas and cockatoos are so large that they would have to be four times the size of the hawks. But the terror seems to spread.
One large friendly, carnivorous bird is the Australian magpie. In photo three, even they aren't safe from air attack. They walk around looking at the ground and never know what hits them.

They say that the Sparrow Hawk likes to live near human habitation. That isn't because they love humans. It is because they have a selection of birds that adhere to what humans offer. Parks and gardens, shrubs, seeds, and all other food that brings the birds to reside there and become the hawk's prey.

To live in the avian world must be very worrying, the way our birds in the yard keep looking at the sky.

Attachments

• Sparrow hawk 3.jpeg
    Sparrow hawk 3.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 15
  • sparrow hawk and magpie.jpg
    sparrow hawk and magpie.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back