• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magviewgear (1 Viewer)

GrampaTom

United States
Anyone have experience with this/these?

Youtube vids mostly positive. Saw one in the flesh on a scope. Owner liked. Seemed nicely made, well thought out.

Wonder the effect on eye relief when wanting to use the scope, with adapter in place, (but not phone)?

Does "app"with phone attached to scope preclude phone access to Sibley, Cornell, etc?

Thanks

Tom

I haven't used the product. But looking at videos of it in use it does seem to impede the use of the scope as a scope.

One also has to glue a steel plate to your phone in order to make it work.

Plus it is very expensive for a phone adapter.

The app is just a camera app, no need to use it over and above your favourite camera app.

I haven't used the product. But looking at videos of it in use it does seem to impede the use of the scope as a scope.

One also has to glue a steel plate to your phone in order to make it work.

Plus it is very expensive for a phone adapter.

The app is just a camera app, no need to use it over and above your favourite camera app.
Thanks Mono

The impedance seems to be, as I look at these reviews, the adapter that is screwed to the eyepiece sits physically above the rim of the scope's eyepiece, making it taller hence effecting eye relief?? That hard on we eyeglass users. Otherwise as the phone easily goes on and off the magnet, other than having to dismount the phone, seems like access to scope eyepiece is easy enough...

The steel plate as I understand it, comes with an adhesive backing that sticks to whatever phone cover one is using. Not really a "gluing it on" thing. Thats been reported on You tube vids as a plus by various (biased or not) reviewers, as compared with other devices like these, since it effects only the case that you own and presumably like. Available for price, multiple plates can be attached to multiple phone cases so others can jump on and off. But what do I know? is that a thing?

Im not familiar with any of these, so the price complaint is also new to me. If the thing functions better than these other cheaper versions and comes with, this easy, cheap adaptability to more than one phone (via the case), might that be a plus? Is cheaper the expected, but in practice these others don't work so well?

Do you know, does the Magview app with its grid and light point, facilitate aligning whichever phone lens one is choosing to use whereas a non Magview camera app cant?

Thanks again

The basic design works well, the eye piece adapter sits almost flush, so it does not impact eye relief materially as far as I can tell.
The attachment plate does glue to the back of the phone case and holds the phone solidly to the scope.
One downside is that wireless charging goes out the window, the metal plate interferes.

Operating is simple, except that the phone must be positioned carefully to align the camera to the eye piece.
For phones whose camera lens is well off center, this takes a bit of doing, wiggling the phone for the camera to be properly positioned.
Sadly it is not possible to lock the phone into position, the magnet holds it attached, but it can shift in place, so the camera alignment is lost.

I'd hoped to use it in a 'set and forget' arrangement integrating phone and scope, with the phone screen allowing easy scope views, but the phone shifts enough that it needs to be realigned with each carry.
Perhaps a soft rubber surround of the eyepiece element would provide enough friction to prevent this, but that might impact eye relief.

The basic design works well, the eye piece adapter sits almost flush, so it does not impact eye relief materially as far as I can tell.
The attachment plate does glue to the back of the phone case and holds the phone solidly to the scope.
One downside is that wireless charging goes out the window, the metal plate interferes.

Operating is simple, except that the phone must be positioned carefully to align the camera to the eye piece.
For phones whose camera lens is well off center, this takes a bit of doing, wiggling the phone for the camera to be properly positioned.
Sadly it is not possible to lock the phone into position, the magnet holds it attached, but it can shift in place, so the camera alignment is lost.

I'd hoped to use it in a 'set and forget' arrangement integrating phone and scope, with the phone screen allowing easy scope views, but the phone shifts enough that it needs to be realigned with each carry.
Perhaps a soft rubber surround of the eyepiece element would provide enough friction to prevent this, but that might impact eye relief.
Thank you, thank you. As I use my phone while birding to access Sibley, Cornell/Merlin and Ebird apps often enough, it seems then grabbing it for those, then repositioning on the scope will not be such a non-event. That fair? Sounds as well, like walking around with phone held to scope via magnet might not be such a risk free thing?

Certainly if the alignment takes more than a matter of seconds, that's a big disadvantage and would probably be a dealbreaker for me

Thank you, thank you. As I use my phone while birding to access Sibley, Cornell/Merlin and Ebird apps often enough, it seems then grabbing it for those, then repositioning on the scope will not be such a non-event. That fair? Sounds as well, like walking around with phone held to scope via magnet might not be such a risk free thing?
The phone is held pretty strongly to the Magview eyepiece unit, so it should stay on safely unless you're scrambling through brush or rock climbing.
The issue is lateral slippage, even a very little is enough to lose phone camera/eyepiece alignment. Getting it readjusted is not quick, at least given my level of dexterity.
The only universal 'set and forget' phone scoping holders that I've seen are reminiscent of medieval torture devices, with multiple fine screw clamps to allow for the various phone sizes, camera placements and eye piece diameters. They are consequently big, heavy and clumsy to operate.
The Magview is a big step forward imho, but it provides no slippage blocking to supplement its excellent magnetic clamping. Fiduciary markings on the phone might help speed the positioning, but preventing slippage is still a challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back